Where is your muck heap situated?

a+e

Jul 3, 2007
suffolk
Just wondered as mine is right opposite the stables and now the warmer weather is here the 'muck flies' are a nightmare.
Obviously idealy it should be moved further away from the stables but then you'd have to treck half way round the farm every time you needed to empty the wheelbarrow.
So how do you manage? Keep it close but have the flies or further away and have to cart your muck further than practical?

It depends where your stable is on my yard, im further away from it than others, its about a min walk from my stable. 30 seconds from others. Loads of people who come on think its miles away but neh, takes seconds...now when your on your third barrow it turns to miles mind!!!

But yeh, the flys sort of stay with it.

Just wondered as mine is right opposite the stables and now the warmer weather is here the 'muck flies' are a nightmare.
Obviously idealy it should be moved further away from the stables but then you'd have to treck half way round the farm every time you needed to empty the wheelbarrow.
So how do you manage? Keep it close but have the flies or further away and have to cart your muck further than practical?

so is mine :(
x

Our muck heap is near the stables, but very well managed so to be honest we dont get flies bothering the horses. The stables that are nearby are barn style.

Ours a fair distance away from the (wooden) stables as we burn it often(muck heap...not the stables :p). It still mounts up though but the sooty smell seems to keep the flies away for a while. We need someone to come and remove our muck heap regular...any ideas who to ask?? :p

Our yard is an upside down L shape of stables, and at the corner of the L there is a gate into the small trailer/car park - the muck heap is in the front left corner of that, so it is behind the last stable on the long side. I've never noticed bad flies but then none of ours come in regularly so it's quite a small muck heap and it gets taken away! :)

We have a trailer to put all the muck on which gets emptied onto the big muckheap behind the stables and accross the car park. Some stables are right next to the trailer but because it gets emptied so regularly it's not too bad.

At the bottom of the yard, well out of the way. ;)
It gets emptied by tractor every few months (we have a farmer on-site due to cows!)

Behind Candys stable
if i open the window i don't need a weelburrow :)

And its removd every few days

newrider.com