Where do i stand.. I'm bit p*ssed off!

A while a go i brought a 2nd hand saddle from a tack shop, it never fitted my horse properly and Ive recently taken it too a different tack shop and they've called to say that its got a twisted tree, since i've had the saddle its not been dropped of damaged in any way. do i have any come back from the original tack shop as they sold me a duff saddle?!?

Thats really tricky as they could just say it was fine when it was sold to you and the damage occured afterwards, thats terrible that they sold it to you like that, wonder how many times they have caught people out like that. How long ago did you buy it?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get anywhere with the original tack shop. Given you bought it secondhand it would most probably have been advertised sold as seen and given the damage has only just been noticed, they'll likely argue it sustained the damage while in your care.

Sucks big time but I suspect you might have to let this one go. I certainly wouldn't trade it in as like you say, the next person might ride in it and cause their horse a lot of pain.

On the other hand....I took a perfectly sound but worn saddle to a local tackshop and was told it had a broken tree but they would dispose of it, strange the Master Saddler that does our maintenance hadn't noticed that so I took it back to him to be rechecked.

Might be worth a second opinion?

Are you a member of the BHS? If you are then you are entitled to free legal advice....

Also, you could contact the Citizens Advice Bureau - you *may* have a claim under the Trades Act - can't remember which section it is, but goods sold must be fit for purpose...... speak to them, it's free advice and you have nothing to lose....

A lot of twisted trees don't come from impacts, dropping, etc...but from people taking hold of the cantle with their right hand as they mount, and pulling the cantle towards them. You'd be surprised at how much twisting this can put on a tree. I'd seek another saddler's opinion too.

that's worrying :frown:

agree with the others that I doubt you'll get anywhere with the original shop. And not sure it'd be a good idea to sell it back in case someone else buys and uses it. How annoying!!

that's worrying :frown:

agree with the others that I doubt you'll get anywhere with the original shop. And not sure it'd be a good idea to sell it back in case someone else buys and uses it. How annoying!!

We had a student here who would mount by hauling on the cantle with her right hand, even from a mounting block.

I made her mount with her right hand behind her back! :D I am evil, but she learned, and my saddles were saved! ;)

As an instructor I am generally scared how badly most people mount. I am very fussy about teaching correct mounting at the beginning but generally people seem to think a lesson doesn't start until they are on a horse and moving :help:

newrider.com