Where can we get extra long reins?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
....my friend and I both have 17HH + horses and find standard full size reins too short - does anyone know where we can get some extra long reins we don't need a mortgage for?

My friend has found some, but they cost £50 :eek:

Have some long reins (I think) that we don't need they measure nine ft in length (108 inches) they are a thick leather width of the leather is just under an inch. at either end there is the fastening and there is a middle buckle fastening if this would be of any use let me know and I will email you a photo, we only have a small pony ! I am not sure if these are long reins ? but they seen very long compared to ours lol!
justi

if you don't mind synthetic, I have a pair of Libby's webbing reins with grip on one side which are long enough I can use them riding western style :)

on ebay there are some rope reins which can be made to measure, i really like them, they are doft but have great grip.

Check western tack retailers- western reins are usually quite a bit longer than english, and if you're just pleasure riding at home or something, the eight-foot or nine-foot split reins might work for you. I love them.

I bridge mine (criss-cross them over the horse's withers so each rein hangs over the opposite shoulder), and ride as if with normal joined reins! The bonus is that if you have a balky or lazy horse, you can take both reins in one hand, and use the end of one rein behind you on the horse's hindquarters (like a crop, but as you're just using a rein, you don't have to carry anything extra- I don't like having too much in my hands, so it's quite convenient). With my horses, all I have to do to get them to move forward (if they're balking or ignoring my nudges and clucks) is dangle a rein out just within their view- they know to either move forward/speed up, or to expect a little tap on the rump.

If you plan on jumping or doing any fast work, knot the reins- it's quite possible for you to lose a rein, but if you drop one, it's gone- very very dangerous. Not only will you have limited control of your horse, he could step on it and pull himself down. Also, if you plan on doing any competing, they might frown on the long split reins- lol.

newrider.com