Where can i learn

beki x-x

uses to many smilies :o
Oct 1, 2008
doddinghurst Essex
to plait, bandage, and pull ...

at my old yard my RI was teaching me to plait but then i left,
have never met anyone who bandaged
and have never thought about pulling but my mares mane is soooo thick she will boil soon ! :p

is there somewhere i can go to learn properly?

Plaiting and bandaging - just practice ! Get yourself a comb and some plaiting bands and just plait her up whenever you have time. Same with bandaging, get yourself a set of fleece bandages, as they are the easiest IMO, and just practice putting them on. It doesnt matter if they are rubbish the first few times. Its how you learn, by doing things.

I CANNOT pull manes (my time with the Moose has been spent tring to encourage her mane to grow, not pulling it ). Is there anyone on your yard who has a horse with a particularly neat and obviously well-pulled mane? Perhaps you could ask them to show you.

If you're really stumped, you could always phone up a freelance groom or RI and ask them to come and give you a lesson !

i heard that you can do damege by bandaging wrong ?

i will get practising !! :p

there is only one girl that pulls on my yard (YO has wild looking beaties :p) but she only comes down about once every 2 months so will have to try and catch her :eek:

:):)

You need to ensure that bandages are secure but at the same time not too tight. It's something that you need 'hands on' experience of IMO. Do none of your friends bandage up so you could watch and have a go yourself?

Pulling is somewhat easier but some horses have serious aversions to it so be wary of this. Have you tried googling a 'how to' guide? I think there are some guides on the NR main website too but not sure if these topics are covered :)

the yard im at atm is more of a happy hackers yard and no one bandages or anything :eek:
im not that bothered about the bandaging as dont need to do it , just thought it would be a good thing to know how to do,

i will have a google on pulling

thanks
xx

newrider.com