Where can I get a magnesium/selenium supplement?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
....I've been reading lately how a magnesium/selenium supplement can help horses that are prone to weight gain - does anyone know where I can get some?

Holland & Barrett??? I see from the telly they currently have a "MORE than half-price sale"!!! :D Got to be worth a visit, surely??

Hi Sarah,

Try putting a post on IHDG for JackieJTaylor as she will be able to supply you with high grade magnesium and give you plenty of really good advice.

C x

There is a product for horses called "selienavite" sp. That I used to buy from Farmway's some years ago. You could do a search.
I buy my magnesium from the supermarket, it's for a shetland though:D

i use selenevite E, but its really just a broad spectrum vitamin supplement with some selenium in it (some vit/min supplements don't have it in). put my lad on it when he was a baby and partial to eating other horses dung! this is sometimes caused by a selenium deficiency.

Selenavite E for the selenium - too much is toxic, so best to stick to the RDA.

Magnesium - buy some epsom salts and feed one or two scoops of it a day (using a 25ml supplement scoops) Not enough to make them loose, but adequate for supplementation.

Can't recommend a supplier, I'm in US but I just started supplementing my tubby Haflinger mare and she's really slimmed down fast, amazingly her cresty neck is now more normal looking and I can find her ribs. I was amazed at the quick response, I saw a difference within two weeks. I've stopped giving it everyday now, went down to twice a week as I'm worried about over-doing the selenium.

Selenium toxicity is well documented. One of the problems is that feed manufacturers often put it in their feed. So often the poor owner doesn't know exactly how much their horse is getting. Same goes for vitamins & minerals.

You should only feed selenium if you know your horse is not getting enough. Generally that means a blood test. Selenium is in most soils, but there are some areas of the world where it is naturally lacking. The safe levels for horses are very narrow (high and low are close together relatively speaking) and it can be very dangerous to overdose a horse.

artemis said:
Have you ever tasted epsom salts?
I was told that it was not an efficient method of feeding magnesium.

Doesn't bother the naglets.
No magnesium is well absorbed orally, best are the organo-mag complexes which are VERY expensive.

newrider.com