When was the last time you booked a ride?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Clue in the title.
I am looking into booking a ride or two in the not too distant future. I think it will be interesting to ride something other than my own and to see different scenery at the same time.
I have found somewhere that offers instruction or forestry rides.
I think I have my description of what I want to book sussed to get offered the right type of horsey. But ideally not one I then want to take home! :rolleyes:
The cob will be fascinated because I might 'smell' of another horse. I wonder what they think. Traitor :p

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I haven't booked a ride since I had my own horse. I have no desire to ride another. I'd love to go on an American dude ranch holiday, but only if I could take Raf, which obviously isn't going to happen.

I did consider a place in Wales where you can book a lesson on one of their classically trained horses, but also take your own horse and have a lesson on them, plus hack out from there. Might do that one year if time and money permit.

Not booked anything for years but I love to occasionally ride other horses, I adore my Belle but it's riding a different horse stops me getting too complacent and I really enjoy it, my best hacking buddy and I often swap and it's really nice to see someone riding Belle, she looks so pretty :)
I recently rode one of our other liveries dressage horse, a big black 17h Fresian who is so beautifully schooled even I manged to make him look great. I love a bit of dressage and Belle can't school anymore so it was a real treat.
As to what Belle thinks, I think she really doesn't mind in the slightest if I ride another horse, but then Belle doesn't really mind much at all.
You have inspired me @newforest to book something myself now. :)

About 18 months ago. After I lost Jim I needed to get back on a horse in a totally different environment, yes I'd got Little Un but he was at the same yard & anyway it was touch and go whether he'd ever be sound enough to ride. So I went to a local-ish school run by a friend who'd understand if I sat on a hore & burst into tears, said absolutlely no chestnuts & ideally something more of LU's type.

It was good for me in that it got me back on after a time off & it gave me someone else to compare LU to, but I must admit I got none of the joy or feeling of oneness that I got from Jim, or even from LU. I think if that was all there was I'd probably give up, it lacked the soul that I've found.

I occasionally accompany my RI out hacking on another horse at the yard. I ride out on another horse as she's usually riding a newly backed and Cocaïnes too stupid outside to take out with a baby horse:rolleyes::oops: During these hacks it makes me feel like I can ride in a half decent fashion provided its not Cocaine as she's so bl**dy minded:D

PS - I'd really love to have a go on a proper high end schoolmaster just to see what its like. Has anyone ever done that? (sorry OP for asking questions on your thread:oops: hope you don't mind:oops: I'll delete if you do:oops::oops:)

I ride loads of different horses (think I'm up to about 200 or so!) and enjoy them for different reasons. I would never limit myself to just riding Annie, I'm be bored! - not because she's not awesome, but because I'm so used to getting plenty of variety, and wonderful as Annie is, she's not capable of doing some of the things I really enjoy. I haven't needed to book a ride for a long time, but if my riding drought continues much longer I may have to, for my own sanity!

PS - I'd really love to have a go on a proper high end schoolmaster just to see what its like. Has anyone ever done that? (sorry OP for asking questions on your thread:oops: hope you don't mind:oops: I'll delete if you do:oops::oops:)
You ask away, it's a discussion thread and yes I have.
I rode my RI medium competiton dressage schoolmaster. I got complimented for my half pass even though we weren't meant to be!
I nearly fell off and have the photos to prove it. He was just too advanced for me. So contrary to popular belief a schooled horse doesn't always make the rider look good if they do half a lap hanging off the side. But you see I might possibly be skilled in trick riding as a result.:D:p

It's been years but I want to combine taking Western Dressage lessons on a horse at the trainers barn and have her come here for W D lessons on Sonny.

Omg schoolmasters are AWESOME.
I've had lessons on one years ago.
You get it right or they ignore YOU.

Lunge lessons are great too fun too.

Ohhhh now you have me anxious for the
Weather to BREAK.

I have no desire whatever to ride another horse other than my own. In over 6 years of owning Ben I have only ever ridden 2 other horses. One was a friends pony who I was exercising a few times a week for a while to keep him fit, and the other was a horse I rode when I was a 'pupil' in a stage 2 exam lesson. I ride Ben as much as I possibly can and still get excited each time. I could never get bored with him.

My daughter and I had a hack booked for us as a christmas present in 2016 but we waited until last summer to go.

It was from a riding school near Kelsall and we went through the woods by the side of the farm ride. We really enjoyed it as a change of scenery to our normal hacking as we don't travel much.

newrider.com