When to move yards?

Pigletsmum

Oct 4, 2008
I'm having a wee mardy wotsit at the moment so bare with me :giggle:

Just wondering how people know when it's time to move yards? My boys are nice and happy where we are and it's cheap but I'm feeling abit :frown: about it at the moment.

When the horse and myself are not happy. The horse lives there, i just visit. If i am not happy i try to work it out.
I am on small yard but it is busy with guests as also holiday complex. Not everyone likes being watched when riding, least of all if they are having bbq next to the school! The amount of times the cob has snorted at someone sunbathing. :giggle:

But generally people move when they outgrow a place or are really unhappy with facilities or other people?

I'm not really unhappy I don't think. Be nice to have more people to ride with / go to shows with but I like the smallness.

When you think you & your horses could be happier, or you think a new situation could do you some good!! :smile:

Im about to move onto our 5th place...but ill give you some of my reasons for leaving past places...

Yard 1....No where suitable to ride newly broken youngster, didnt 'fit' in with the other liveries at all,To much lush grazing, wasnt able to restrict which ended up with my pony getting lami...Time to move on...

Yard 2....Liveries & Yard Owner were un-bearable. They made my life a misery. Exspensive and pony was un-happy/lonely with individual turnout.

Yard 3 - Field sharer went bit crazy on me, route to yard was awful for traffic, not enough grazing, due to poor fencing shetland kept escaping day in day out no matter what i did and it just drove me insane.

Yard 4 - The yard im due to leave in a couple of weeks, best yard ive been on so far but time to move on again. No proper schooling/riding area's, fed up of the young teens on yard, crap hacking, the rule that horses must stay in over night (With 3 horses the work load of mucking out/haynets etc is wearing me out!)

Yard 5 - Is just a field that we will rent, im hoping this will work well!

Have a good long think and start having a look around for somwhere else. Life is too short to stay somwhere and be miserable x

In 9 years of owning, i have only moved twice. I rented a field when i got my first horse and i stayed 5years.

newrider.com