when to leave grazing muzzle off?

Nov 4, 2008
just wondering when i should leave the grazing muzzle off my cob, he has had it on 24/7 during summer but has seemed hungry (although what cob isnt! haha) when he has been out of field e.g he never used to snatch for grass out hacking but has over the last week, so wasn't sure if the nutrient content or something has dropped so he isnt getting enough anymore with his muzzle on?

Never used a muzzle as yet but I def think he is trying to tell you something -'it's getting colder and I'm hungry Mum' - if he has started grabbing for grass when out hacking. Maybe leave the muzzle off for a certain amount of time during the day? The grass will be losing some nutritional value now I am sure as everything is slowing down for winter :cold: Not a nice thought!

Joy is doesn't have a grazing muzzle but is on very restricted grazing due to weight issues.

She has a token feed of chaff to bung her Pink Powder in and I give that to her as soon as I bring her in and then get her ready to be ridden. This way she is less likely to make a grab for food. Then when I get back she gets 5 mins on the linger grass then back on the restricted grazing again where I move 1 fence post a day but suspect I'll soon be moving 2 for them.

It's trial and error. I weight tape her daily and count their poos. I allow enough grass to keep the number of poos in 24hrs to approx 8 and also go be weight tape results. I micromanage on a daily basis.

Maya still has hers on. Tried it off a week ago for a couple of days when it was rainy but she started going cresty and had pulses so I put it back on again. I wish I could take it off but don't feel I can yet. Maybe you could start taking it off at night or during the day?

Mine always has a muzzle on when out but comes in at night to plenty of hay. Am not at all certain you are supposed to keep a muzzle on 24/7,though not sure if that's what you mean come to that :redface:

strictly speaking i dont think they are meant to be, but i got advice on here and some people said they do the same as otherwise my cob would burst, he puts on weight just looking at grass, and he always had a few hours break from it each day

the horses are due to come in at night in a week or two, so i think i'll just keep it on until then as he will be on haylage at night + feed so plenty to eat

We always left it on 24/7...because if we ever gave them grazing time without it they would gorge...would be worried about colic if gorging tbh!

Think it's prob best for OP though to provide feed or stable time eating hay if he is showing hunger (providing he doesn't still need to slim down?) and keep the muzzle on when out until he comes in at night.

newrider.com