When lessons end early

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
Went to riding lesson today but during warm up walk it became clear horse was sore on hind and could not give a lesson today.
Hopefully it's nothing serious.
Here's my etiquette question though: I paid for the lesson before I tacked the horse up. The lessons are kind of pricey but totally worth it and I love my RI.
Since the lesson kind of got canceled before it began though do you think I should ask for a reduced rate or credit for next time?
I don't want to be an ass about it.
What do you think? Lesson takes POV?
RI POV?

I have had this happen, RI comes out to me not far but she still comes. when Chanter has gone lame and we stop the lesson she does not accept payment. simple

TBH it sounds to me as though you should ask for a credit on the next lesson. I really don't expect your RI would ask you to pay for a lesson you haven't had. I'm surprised she didn't volunteer it, really.

Depends - if the RI has travelled to your house to teach you on your horse then I would expect to only pay half. If you had gone to a RS and the horse was lame - i'd expect to be given either another horse to ride or a full refund

If someone had travelled to me I would expect to pay for the whole lesson. If it was a RS lesson on one of their horses, I wouldnt expect to pay at all. If it was at a RS but on my own horse I would expect to pay. The RI has booked out the time and its not really their fault that you have effectively had to cancel at short notice.

If this were a lesson where a RI came to teach me on my horse I'd expect to pay in full as its not their problem. In fact, I'd expect to pull in full if I cancelled within 24 hours of the lesson. That's how I'd want it if I were a RI.

If someone had travelled to me I would expect to pay for the whole lesson. If it was a RS lesson on one of their horses, I wouldnt expect to pay at all. If it was at a RS but on my own horse I would expect to pay. The RI has booked out the time and its not really their fault that you have effectively had to cancel at short notice.

This.

If it was on your own horse I would be concerned if I was the RI and you hadn't noticed your horse was lame before you came in the arena.

Most riding schools have a 24 hour cancellation policy these days.

Not my horse and not my place. I traveled 40 minutes to get to the RS to take a lesson on the RI's horse. She did apologize for me traveling all this way for nothing. But didn't mention anything about a refund or credit so that's why I am asking.

When lessons are cut short for any reason I usually offer to give the client an extended one the next time. If the horse had to be taken out I would replace with another horse if possible and extra time. If there wasn't a suitable replacement horse I would offer a full refund or an alternative lesson time.

I do not operate a 24 hour cancellation policy, people often are taken ill that day or just have more pressing things to do. Good customers do not take advantage of it and those that do are phoned and asked if they really want their space as there are many on the waiting list who would , if they keep the space and carry on not turning up I phone them to say I cannot take any further bookings. I have only had to do this a few times in 20 years!!

Edited to add I do however take exception to the rare client who watches the clock every lesson and complains if we are short ( seldom if I overrun!!?) I explain my philosophy that we are finishing on a good note for both horse and rider not just filling 30 or 60 minutes...some leave most stay!!

Last edited:
Under those circumstances I would have expected to have either been offered a different horse if they had one suitable, or my money back.

If it wasn't my horse and I had travelled to them I would certainly have expected a full refund, or to have been offered a different horse and a not have had the time changing horses deducted from my lesson time if that makes sense.

If you had no lesson and went home "empty handed" so to speak (i.e. you haven't received the service you paid for) then that is a very poor show in my opinion and I would expect them to offer you a free lesson next time!

I remember my first RS had me on a grey pony who seemed a bit lame and they checked his hooves whilst I was still on him, and had him walk round for half the lesson but then they decided he was definitely lame so got me another horse.

Definitely should get a refund!!! Why on earth should you pay for a lesson you never had. I am self employed: if people cancel on me with less than 2 hours notice they get charged a nominal fee to cover the cost of room hire. If they don't show up they get charged full fee for my time as I will wait for them the whole hour. But if I can cancel they don't pay and I would not dream of expecting them to!

Oh good! We have one hour lessons. Sometimes an hour is too much for either Tobes and I so we stop on a good note. That is more important to me than getting our hours worth.

Am pleased though your RI will credit you. Not your fault or your horses.

newrider.com