WHEN LEASING A HORSE...Who pays vet bills?HELP!

my share-lease horse went lame

We currently lease a gelding on a share-lease basis where we pay for 1/2 his board/feed and the owner pays the rest. This is a month-to-month lease that requires a 30 day written notice to cancel. The owner really just needed help with the cost of ownership and the responsibility of his exercise and care. He recently was injured on some tractor equipment in the pasture. We haven't been able to ride him for two months but, have continued to pay the lease. Do we still pay the lease when we can't ride him? I've looked all over the internet and can't find any contracts that address this. My contract doesn't address compensation to lessee in this case either. If we give notice to cancel our lease until he's better (don't know how long it will be) she said she'd look for someone else to lease him because she just can't afford it or (worse) she'll have to sell him (and break my 12 y.o. daughter's heart). I'm not sure what to do... we love him dearly but, can't afford to spend the $$ just to help out the owner...

Suzrose

I sympathize with you, as a mom myself...I know how torn you can feel balancing the budget and making your child happy with a horse... it's a tough decision. IF you really cannot ride her, and you dont feel comfortable paying while you can't then...you shouldn't.
But I think regardless of the condition, leasing is also like owning that no matter what, you have to stick by the contract and care for this leases horse rain or shine-- less the owner is okay with you not continuing the lease.
How much longer will the horse be out of commission?
Thats is a tough call... but if $$$ is not too great an issue for you to help care for the horse until better, then I'd say hang in there, this again depend on the length of her re-coop.
Sorry If I cannot help much for a straighter answer, I have a child and I would be torn just as much.

Good Luck, and hope all works well for everyone:eek:

Whether or not you are responsible for vet bills, you should have a complete exam before signing. You need to establish the current health of the horse and find any pre-exisiting conditions.

This will give you an idea of possible vet bills to come. It will also protect you from being help responsible for a condition that is already there.

Joe21

He was injured on the owner's tractor equipment that was stored in his pasture (it's now fenced off). He is on his way to recovery but, don't know how long it'll be before we can ride him again. We do love being involved in this barn (across the street from our home)...

Thanks everyone.

I am a lawyer and if you are leasing a horse, you should have a contract that specifies who pays for what. If not, there are going to be problems.

I would think that the owner would pay vet bills. You are just paying for the right to use that horse. It's not like leasing a car where you have it and have to turn it in at the end of the lease. I'm guessing you are sharing it with someone who just needs someone to help with the expenses.

If you want to give more details on your situation, I'll try to me of more assistance.

newrider.com