****When is a mare to old to put in foal**

That depends on the health of the mare.
I know many brrod mares who are still breeding at 2o years old, but i dont think its fair to put a maiden into foal at 20.
How old is your mare? Is she brood or maiden?

Depends on whether they have foaled before, as I believe I read or was told that if they are in their teens and never had a foal they may prove harder to conceive ... but don't quote me on it!

I have heard of broodmares in their 20's, but they have had foals before!

You have to remember, that as the mare gets older, changes will occur in her uterus (changes to the uterus lining, blood supply, strength of the uterus etc), which may affect the quality/quantity of nutrients the foetus gains

You also need to ask yourself why are you considering putting an older mare in foal?

That depends on the health of the mare.
I know many brrod mares who are still breeding at 2o years old, but i dont think its fair to put a maiden into foal at 20.
How old is your mare? Is she brood or maiden?

Minihorse Just rehomed her shes 17 very healthy acts like 7 year old was worried
as had no foals would it be wrong to put her into foal...

Why has she been rehomed? (if you don't mind me asking)

Personally I wouldn't, not at 17 without previously foaling before ... but just my opinion

Yes for sure shes still fit trying to slow her down now though shes still
keen on comp. etc..

What is she? Breed, height etc!?
Why not continue to work her, as she sounds like she is still up for it!?

What is she? Breed, height etc!?
Why not continue to work her, as she sounds like she is still up for it!?

Now my first thought was when I seen her I said Shes lovely but Dont think shes for me as just looking for a wee horse/pony to ride round field and hack out on my comp. days in saddle over and done with,However owner said that
wee horse had reached a age that she should be winding down does not want her comp.and getting harshed she was a very good showjumper also done well
in classical dressage,,,Owner gave her to me as trusted me it was the owner who said she would love her to go into foal:)
Wee horse ArabxTB

It can be done...but the older a maiden mare gets the less likely they will be able to concieve. Is she maiden???
The best thing to do is get some advice form your vet, they will be able to help you alot more than i can:eek:

Ive always been interested in this Shelley is 5 and she was in foal when transported over from Austria, her foal was healthy and she was an excellent mum. She has been backed and schooled now but my plans are to breed from her when shes is older, maybe about 15-20yrs, is that too old?

You should see her, yes she acts very young, went up with minihorse today and she looks at a jump and she will jump, owner had to take them down as she would have went over them, she is lovely.

Near kicked myself today forgot about going to see horse:eek: Glad Minihorse
had someone to go up with..
She is lovely plenty of bounce:D

Why has she been rehomed? (if you don't mind me asking)

Personally I wouldn't, not at 17 without previously foaling before ... but just my opinion

Young girl had her for 5 yrs shes 17yrs old found men and cars:eek:
Not going out on horse as much .They have just been told that the livery yard
is to be sold 2 weeks time and near impossible to get livery..Because of these
reasons horse needs to be homed..Not asked any money for her home more
import.

newrider.com