When did you break in your pony? Cus I've got one now ;)

sadiesparkle

Apr 21, 2009
Northamptonshire, UK
I has pony!

Lol. I have a colt companion for Trigger. He is on 2 year loan, with the option to buy if I like him, or send back if I don't want to keep him. I have ALWAYS wanted a pony to ride though! Seems ridiculous because my main ride was just measured at 17.3hh...!

He is about 20 months old now, and we think Dartmoor x Apaloosa. Neither is confirmed, and everyone sees something different in him (Welsh in particular comes up a lot). I think he will make around 13.2hh, perhaps a bit bigger.

If I decide to keep him I'd LOVE to back and break him myself, he's a wonderfully quiet little chap. My plan was to sit on him a couple of times when he's three, then turn him away for winter, and bring him back into work in the late spring. How does that sound? I know it's subjective, some ponies develop faster than others....just wanted some opinions on the matter :)

222375_202686359770621_100000877767679_517198_5939805_n.jpg

xxx

i :wub: him!!

with young appleh, we started basic grondworky things and inhand walkies when she was two, a bit of longreining (bitless) at two and a half (or thereabouts). i first sat in her at 3 and a half, plodded about a bit, turned her away and brought her back into 'work' (eg light hacking!) at 4 :) i did have a lot of advice and help from an experienced friend though :) cant believe im hacking her out now - still have to pinch myself sometimes - i appear to have backed a pony! gosh!

i know some people just leave them to it and dont do anything until they're 4 - i guess its however you prefer :)

I wish I had the time for another youngster. I miss it and he is very sweet- have fun!

I would be looking for about another 18 months of play and see the world before I backed him but I do things slowly.

Play "dress up" as I called it to my young-stock including, bitting, rugs, roller and then saddle. Also use plastic bags, bins, football, bicycle, dogs, trigger sprays and big traffic... you name it... think of horse eating hazards.

It is short bursts of "fun" with plenty of time off to be a pony. Play it by how things go.

Last edited:
Aw - as JJ said - I would be taking my time playing games and exposing them to as much as possible.

I have to admit I would worry about the LWVB period - it gives them clause to take him back once he is "useable" I know that sounds awful, and I dont know the people but just be careful xxx

No not always I agree just think I would prefer it sooner in a youngster - it would be awful to pAy for keep and do all the ground work to have them taken back when its time to ride.

Ps I still can't get over how long his legs are!!!:D

June was backed last august when she was 3, more or less turned away over winter and then brought back this spring

Ah the LWVTB - my mare died unexpectedly earlier this year, and I needed a companion. So the same rescue that gave me Trig on full permanent loan offered me Troika. I didn't really care what I got as long as bigman got on with it! I was loathed to get another oldie after what happened to my mare. I might want to send him back when he's a 3 year old and get something else if he changes whilst growing up! Either way - not worried about that bit because he's on loan from someone I know well :)

At the moment all he does is come in, have his feet picked out and have his tea with the big guy :) I worked on his leading (he's very clever!) and now he will walk/trot inhand. Apart from that he just chills in the field, eating Triggers ears all day!

His legs are SO LONG! Haha! I'm hoping he makes a bit bigger than 13.2hh! Also hoping to take him to some local shows this summer - only problem is he will have to walk to get there. Hopefully it won't be too far for his little feets.

xxx

Things will happen when they happen, my youngster is three next month. I have no major plans for any changes just because she is 4 weeks older.

I will sit on when we are ready for that, her and me. At the moment i have sat on a fence with her lining herself up from both directions.

Have fun.

newrider.com