When could I start to strip him off his LW ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
My cob is out still in his no fill rainsheet. Tonight he was very toasty under it - too toasty :stomp:

Would I be cruel to whip it off altogether and just bung it on for rain only ?

Yesterday I took Dolly's 200g off and put a sweet itch rug on...tis a bit nippy at night but there is also a lot of midge activity already so I will keep her in it until it rains again, and then put a rain sheet on. I would love to just let her go completely naked, but the risk is too high!:frown:

Would I be cruel to whip it off altogether and just bung it on for rain only ?

This made me giggle a bit, you do know that's what they're for? ;) Honestly yes I would take it off, if he is too toasty then he doesn't need it! Rainsheets can stop the hair from fluffing up to keep them warm, take it off and he'll be able to poof out a bit :)

Iwould take it off - overheating can be worse than them having to heat themselves up a bit - the boys came off a few weeks ago - we have had a few frosts and still moulting so they are warm enough to cope if we get a period of prolonged rain then they may get there no fills on as ex lammi they don't do wet.

I only hesitate as he was only fully clipped out 3/4 weeks ago. If he wasn't clipped then he'd have been naked all winter anyway. Just feeling a tad guilty at turning a fully clipped horse out :eek:

Ah - take it off during the day and see what you think but if its not in minus I would think he will be fine - presumeably hes holding his weight okay- the grass is coming now so as long as he can graze to keep his boiler going he will adjust himself - if he starts dropping weight then put it on overnight if he has no coat to fluff up.

Mine stopped all rugging two weeks ago, he was only in a no fill when it was raining really hard. He is moulting now, so obviously he is not cold. But mine is in at night, if he was out all the time I might put it back on at night if he did nt have shelter.

I think that will be the way I am moving forward this week as it's still only 2/3 degrees at night.

Have done a count tonight of his no fill sheets - he now has 3. We have inherited his pals old one. I put it on him tonight to check the fit and took it off, it felt wrong putting it on him :cry:

It is supposed to be getting warmer this week. I should think you could take it off, it may also help with any weight loss.

On the down side, expect a muddy horse to groom before you ride:frown:

Mine have been un rugged all winter in an effort to keep weight off. Its been a bit of a nightmare really as they have either been extremelly wet or extremelly muddy. Next year I am going to clip and rug.

newrider.com