What's your 'horse type'??

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
Following tbaynancy's recommendation for a book which assigns everyone a 'horse type' I'm thinking I might have to be the classic neurotic TB - I need extra rugging in winter, have flat feet that are hard to keep good and my mood can turn at the drop of a hat. Classic fine legs and a nice bum :wink:

What's your type??

Fat heavy horse. Hard on my feet, big boobs, big bum, short legs, fat tummy, lazy, grumpy and with very messy hair.
Do you think we search out a horse that is a mirror image of ourselves or do they become that way?!

I'm a hairy cob, just like Izzy.

Prone to fat, short and stocky, unable to resist food, messy, hard working, opinionated, good sense of humour, bit bolshy, gutsy and a have-a-go sort. Oh also not very well groomed! (although I do scrub up alright if I make the effort). Forgot - very thelwell like.:wink:

FM - I definitely got a horse that is my mirror image.:smile:

a welsh of some description.......chunkyish but on the pretence of being slimish, neurotic, slightly dizzy but work hard when my mind gets put to it.

so yep, i'm pretty sure we do seek out our mirror image as above could also describe Harvey :wink:

Here's some others from the book: (just excerpts)

Shetland: "small, lightweight, and have short limbs .. you gain weight evenly"

Quarter Horse: " medium in height and muscular ... narrow waist, broad shoulders and chest, flat stomach, and muscular limbs"

TB: "height is medium or tall, you have long slender limbs, and small well-defined muscles. You don't gain weight easily, but when you do, it is usually ends up in your midsection as a "spare tire" "

Warmblood: " tall and shapely. Women have an hourglass figure"

Anglo-Arabian: "thin, lightweight upper body, wide hips, and robust thighs. The term pear-shaped is often used"

Draft Horse: " tall and have big bones, a broad chest and shoulders, thick midsection, flat behind, and solid limbs"

I'm a QH too by the descriptions!

But I would def describe myself as a middleweight cob! But perhaps a 'fit' one! Soooo I woul say me and moet are well suited :)

I'm a native pony. Good doer, love my grub, don't mind the wind and weather, able to work hard all day but would rather not!

Oh and I must be one like Ziggy, because I have fine flat hair, and he has a fine flat mane :wink:

Classic TB in body! An ex-racer who wasnt quite competitive enough to make the grade. Poor doer who eats like a pig and struggles to put more than a stone on, though get a great grass belly at times. Thin skinned, cuts scars and bruises easily.

In mind I'm a heavy horse. Kind, loyal and eager to please. Happy to plod along through life, though do enjoy the occasional burst of speed and some excitement! Can be a scaredy cat, but take confidence from others around me. Can be strong willed should I disagree with someone.

ETA - definitely no mirror images here!

Last edited:
Oh dear... according to the above I could only be described as a draught horse!

Me and Oscar are definately not alike in that respect, funny though how I've always had a soft spot for the heavies.

Hmmm.... I guess I'd be something like a Comtois.... short fat legs, huge arse, strong, a little clumsy at times but wants to be loved by everyone!

Good sturdy middleweight mare. Thats me!lol. Loyal and faithful, but woe betide the rider that crosses me without due cause......then I never forget (but I might just forgive!)

lol, great thread............

in my 'head' I see an ARAB, all graceful and elegant..........

in the MIRROR...........I see a COB:bounce:

TB: "height is medium or tall, you have long slender limbs, and small well-defined muscles. You don't gain weight easily, but when you do, it is usually ends up in your midsection as a "spare tire" "

This is me to a T :giggle My flab creeps up on me and only ever round my middle. Not a good thing given my family are prone to diabetes!

my Oh has already told me i bought the horse version of me...

Short, chunky, messy mane, stubborn, independant, relatively pretty and have the ability to look adorable/lovable when wanting something :giggle:

newrider.com