What's your favourite Risotto flavour?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I love love love Risotto.

We pretty much put anything in it, my current fave is roast butternut squash, spinach and smoked bacon

What's your fave?

I love risotto too :biggrin:

I make a nice one with prawns and small vine tomotoes cut in half, so yummy.

Also do one with grilled or panfried chicken added with yellow peppers.

Sometimes I do a chicken and asparagus one.

I don't really know much about risotto. Only one that springs to mind is the Vesta one in a box lol!!!! I think that was a "beef" one. Is it quite healthy? Maybe I should campaign Mr T to try making us one (he is chief cook!).

It is a question that I have never thought about before. It's made me want to go and find a recipe for risotto and cook it.

Can anyone suggest one (an easy one!)?

Its a bit boring, but I dont think you can beat a classic mushroom risotto in the winter, deep and earthy with dried porcini mushrooms in the white wine stock and a mixture of big and little fresh ones. MMmmmmmm. In the spring I like an asparagus and fresh pea one, light and fresh and springlike.

i dont eat risotto - not because i dont like it. I do- buts its one of those foods that i just dont ever think of having. I like mushroom risotto the best.

Mushroom or roast butternut squash. I've made a Thai style one with sweet potato and coconut milk before too which was surprisingly nice!

I don't really know much about risotto. Only one that springs to mind is the Vesta one in a box lol!!!! I think that was a "beef" one. Is it quite healthy? Maybe I should campaign Mr T to try making us one (he is chief cook!).

OH used to live off these before we moved in together, the amount of salt in them is astronomical!

Its not hard at all, or I certainly wouldn't be arsed to make it after work. :redface:

The thing to remember is not to wander off and leave it, you have to stir and add the stock gradually to realease all the lovely creamy starch. You wait until it starts to look a bit dry, but not too dry, then add a bit of stock and give a gentle stir. I'm a bugger for being distracted when cooking, if you do that it sticks like concrete and never really comes nice and creamy.

I think if you use the oven method you can wander off, but I've never tried this way, so dont really know. It should work though, like a rice pud, but savoury.

It's easy to make just takes a while, as Tillytoo says you need to keep an eye on it and keep stirring and gradually adding the stock. The end result is yummy and definitely worth it!

newrider.com