Whats your favourite brand?

bhs1

Feb 29, 2012
`wjats your favourite brand for saddles/bridles? Do you always stick with the same brand or would you consider something new?:tongue:

I loved DJ's Courbette Bridle but hated the Courbette saddle. I thought the County saddle we replaced it with was much better.
For Minnie I tried a Courbette bridle and it just didn't fit right so I am having one custom made for her by Kis Vihar (fingers crossed-still nervous about having sent the wrong measurements and ending up with another no-fit bridle lol)
Looks like she will end up with a Black Country saddle (the saddlery I am working with designed some saddles specifically for wide backed hard to fit horses in collaboration with BC so the wide horse BC saddles may be a better fit than simply ordering a County in super duper wide

I got a second-hand Pessoa close contact saddle when I started competing about 6 years ago and it's still in exactly the same condition. It's very comfortable, stable, fits me and fits everything I put it on. Most importantly for me being a small lady rider with short legs, the thigh blocks aren't too large and I can have my stirrups at jumping length and still get my leg on the horses side - something I have a real problem with in other saddles and usually have to ride long. Horses have come and gone but I'm not parting with that saddle :D

Can't really say for bridles - I'm not too fussy on the brand and as long as I think it looks alright on the horse, fits it well and the leather is of a decent enough quality I'm not too fussy and I don't really like to 'splash out' on a bridle as it doesn't get the same use as the saddle.

Saddles - Depends really. I don't ride on a saddle now, but when I did, I had Thorowgood, Balance and GFS as that's what fitted the horses.

Bridles.....Well....Ours! :D

(Saying that, I will confess to having a Libby's Synthetic which goes out in the car for 'sale horses' as it can get chucked in the washing machine after each use!)

And KarinUS, don't panic!!!!! ;)

Don't have a favourite, One style may suit you and your horse where another one won't.

My favourite makes are ones that are well made, in English UK leather.

There are a few brands that I really don't like, and a few designs that I don't like.

I have limited experience but have a Derby House Gp saddle which I love (tho it is a bit heavy) and an eventing saddle - Bates, which I aren't keen on, tho it is light, it is as boney as hell!lol.
Bridle wise, I've a Robinsons Requisite bridle which fell to pieces and I have cannibalised for spare parts..........
I have a nice plain black bridle bought from Derby House a long while ago, think its Tredstone (or Tred sommat?!)
And I had a mistake of a bridle (it was a cob size and was a crank noseband which I didn't like) which was very expensive and I sold to somebody on here. That came from a local tack shop but I can't remember the make!

The fact we now have 3 black country saddles says it all saddlewise! Bridles I don't care, my favourite which is on Rambo from the local saddlery and they made an extra thick noseband for it, its lovely!

newrider.com