Whats the BEST

Me i am keeping him for ever and just want to help him chill out :)
Which is what will happen from correct management of the horse. Honestly, I have never seen any significant change in a horse that can be directly related to a calming product. In every case where a change has been evident a change in management has been made at the same time. ie...
"I'm going to put him on a calmer and drop his feed down."
"I'm going to put him on a calmer and up his work"
"I'm going to put him on a calmer and increase his turnout"
"I'm going to put him on a calmer and vary his work"

^davidH, we didnt change anything. he is already in lots of varied work, it isnt fizzyness it is fear, he works off adrenline and sweats up something chronic.

at the first yard i worked at, 1 of the horses was put on MagCalm from global herbs, we couldn't get near him, he was scared of his own shadow, even used to jump sideways at his own poo :rolleyes:. we were then able to start handling him and working him, even competing, he was a completely different horse!!

perhaps not the fairest, but i have to hack hal out so we tackle the problem head on.

i take him along fairly busy roads (thankfully its only about 1/2 a mile) and the traffic cant over-take which helps, thats his fear, he doesnt like been trapped in a situation (eg between tall hedges with cars behind and infront)

it does scare him (shallow fast breathing, excessive sweating, bulging eyes etc) but luckily he trusts me so he carrys on.
if he meets something huge (buses and tractors mainly) then he does have to escape the situation there is a few drives, private roads and carparks we can run off into thankfully.
so i wait for it to pass (he shakes as it passes and runs on the spot- his legs have to move, but he doesnt physically need to move if you see what i mean (usually anyway) then we carry on.

once we are off this road, he has run out of adrenaline and he settles right down. and he copes with the smaller things better aswell (like road markings and single cars passing)

its not going to fix anything (bit does help which is why i do it), and you need a unflappable rider (im not fussed about riding on roads, its second nature to me which helps him alot so his quirks dont fluster me and i can deal with the situation calmly) and a good road to do it on.

NAF Magic. Worked for one of my horses but not the other though, so it's really dependant on whether magnesium deficiency was key in the problem. Global Herbs SuperCalm took the edge off the horse that NAF Magic didnt work on.

I have never seen any significant change in a horse that can be directly related to a calming product.

My horse was on NAF Magic for a few months with Dengie feed, and worked 45mins - 1hr per day, every day. He lived on a yard with a strict routine - fed at same time, worked at same time but varied in what he did, in/out at same time with same horses. One day I took him down to work and his behaviour was appalling, he was spooky even doing groundwork, under saddle he was playing up and bucking terribly and generally looking like he'd gone 10 steps backwards.
After a bit of thought I went to the feedroom and, sure enough, his NAF Magic had run out 2 days earlier. Put him back on it the next day and 2 days after that he calmed down and stopped being spooky and silly.

So we cant even attribute it to a psychological effect on me, since I didnt know that the Magic had run out.

xxx

I have used Naf Magic, when my boy was fit and being fed up well over one winter. I found it took the edge of his sillyness. For instance instead of diving into the hedge when passing a tractor, he would Banana shape round it instead, and passing the infamous 'hen hedge' where they randomly flew out ( on a nasty bend on a road) he didnt blow, grow a few hands, crab walk past it... I felt I could tap into his brain and safely and confidently pass them.

Its always worth a try before you slam something down.

Agreed its not a quick fix solution, however sometimes it can just take that edge of.

newrider.com