What's the best way to dispose of rotten haylage bales?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
YO has had two.... he picks it up at supplier so it's not like he can take it back, doesn't have the machinery to get them back on the trailer. One of them is really rotten (where's the sick emoticon when you need it?)..

Tractor with a bucket on the front to just push them to the muck heap or somewhere where they won't be a pain? If they're just left to rot on the grass then they will prevent the grass from growing underneath and will do a bit of damage.

Our yo had 3 and asked a local farmer if he could take them upto the muck heap with his tractor,he was happy too and only charged a fiver they have since been spread about on the muck heap and are getting covered by muck and should hopfully just rot away,time will tell though.

The trailer is the muck heap, they take it away weekly. the bales are all on hard standing (he has a concreted area for them), maybe he'll get the local farmer to help, I couldn't bare to watch these to slowly turn black, I believe they take a long time to rot down don't they?

She has never done it before so is trying it this year to see how it goes for future reference,farmer didn't think it would be a problem but we have a large muck heap that just rots away and its only a small yard so not excessive amount of muck every day.either see if the local farmer can help otherwise only thing to suggest would be do abit at a time onto your trailer to be taken away.

Use them in muddy gateways maybe? If they can be dumped near to somewhere like that and stripped down. We use old straw and hay and although it only lasts one season it makes a real difference giving a firm surface to come through gateways on.

newrider.com