Whats the best rider only insurance?

I looked at various rider only insurances, including one leaflet called A & L or E & L? can't remember, that seemed to come with every horsey magazine i bought! The cost was £49 for a year. But i decided for a couple more quid to just join the BHS, as for £51 for a year, you get Gold membership which includes Personal Accident cover and Public Liability Insurance. Thought i may as well have the extra benefits of joining BHS as i'm taking exams and will get discounts on entrance fees etc. oh and you get a cool gold badge and car sticker too LOL!

I've got the deluxe pet plan rider policy - never claimed though so can't say how good they are, but the policy is good. I share and also ride several other privately owned horses so it is peace of mind for me.

Hi Gallop-on, just want to pass on a little bit of info that i recently found out about rider only insurance. BHS Gold and Petplan (the ones i have experience with) were both very helpful but when i explained i would be paying towards the horse they told me rider only insurance would not be valid as money had changed hands.

The only way to be insured without applying for complete insurance for the horse myself is for the owner to include any rider on her insurance policy therefore you would be covered for public liability.

Hope that makes sense, just something to be aware of, would hate for your insurance not to be valid.

Gx

Hi Gallop-on, just want to pass on a little bit of info that i recently found out about rider only insurance. BHS Gold and Petplan (the ones i have experience with) were both very helpful but when i explained i would be paying towards the horse they told me rider only insurance would not be valid as money had changed hands.

The only way to be insured without applying for complete insurance for the horse myself is for the owner to include any rider on her insurance policy therefore you would be covered for public liability.

Hope that makes sense, just something to be aware of, would hate for your insurance not to be valid.

Gx

Thanks for that info gorgie1, this is a surprise, I wonder how many of us Part-loaners have rider only insurance but dont know about the clause!!!!!!!!!!

I know....its only by chance i mentioned money and i have to say it isnt obviously clear in the documents that this would invalidate your insurance. I just got an inkling when i read the word non-business use.

Just hope i could help.

Gx

Insurance

I am just in the process of insuring my horse, and I would like someone to ride him well a sharer of sorts and my insurance policy covers anyone riding my horse with my permission.

Maybe you sharers could ask the owners to check their insurance policies to see if their insurance covers you?? Mine would, I'm insured with AIMS.

Just for your info really, I suppose the owner wouldn't necessarily want a claim on their policy, but if yours is void it may be the only way?

interesting thread, and as i might be riding someone elses horse i am planning on taking out insurance.

Just out of interest though, is horse riding classed as a danerous sport in terms of life insurance policies?

Suzanne 7575, thats a very interesting point, i really dont know about life insurance policies, and maybe something to check out if one has a mortgage.

As Yummymummy correctly says for sharers it is the owner that has the insurance and adds any rider to it. As far as i am aware it is quite a common place thing to do and adds little or no cost to the insurance.

Insurance eh?:rolleyes: such a minefield......:)

I will ask the owner of the pony i am going to be riding about her insurance, if not i will probably just join the BHS and get the gold membership with the rider insurance as I am not actually paying any money out then i guess i would be covered under the BHS insurance

Hi I've just seen this thread and would warn everyone to stay away from E&L. When I took out the insurance with my horse I informed them that she had a windgall on her leg and offered to show them the vetting papers which say that the horse is prefectly fine and suitable for what I purchased her for. They didn't want to see them. I put in a claim for eye tests and possible conjunctivitus a year and a half later and they slapped so many exclusions on my horse eg will not cover her legs or any eye conditions even though the tests came back that everything was ok.

My insurance is due up soon and i'll definately be looking for a new insurer but I assume i'll have to declare when looking that i've been refused cover in the past which no doubt will put the price up.

suzanne7575, yes as you are not exchanging any money the BHS Gold plan seems a very good deal. Again, i am not in anyway an expert so ask them, they were extremely helpful when i was asking questions.

Good luck :)

Gx

newrider.com