Whats best for mud rash

suezyq

Aug 12, 2007
My poor boy came in from field yesterday with mud rash his ankles are very badly swollen as well, i have cleaned them with hibi scrub and smoothered them with udder cream. someone said pig oil is best has anyone used it or anything else that works. needless to say he wont be going back in the field untill the fields dry out.

A lot of people (myself included) have had success using pig oil and sulphur,but it can sometimes cause a reaction if put on skin that is already inflamed as your lad's sounds like it is,lot's of people horses have been fine I hasten to add (mine included but then she wasn't that sore TBH),but you might want to think on it.

I was recommended and bought aromaheel for soothing and clearing actual sores.I can't actually tell you if it works as my mare's feather was so thick I couldn't get the stuff near her actual skin,so gave up with it!! It was recommended to me by several people though that had used it successfully,so if your horse doesn't have very abundant feather,maybe it could help.

Hope he feels better soon:)

If his fetlocks are swollen, you might need to get some anti-biotics from the vets.

Whenever Lady gets it, she gets it bad and I always have to get her some medication.

newrider.com