what type of grass hay to feed?

Brandy1

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I have an overweight horse and have been feeding her grass hay.
when i go to see her i buy orchard grass but ther person who normally feeds buys the grass hay from the feed store where he
goes and it is bermuda grass. the ferrier was out the other day and says the walls of her hoofs are seperating because she is getting to much grass. the pasture she is in was plowed a couple of months ago and there is not much geen grass for her to eat. is there a difference in grass hays?

If the hoof wall is separating from the laminae, then you need to get your horse off the grass and get the vet out a.s.a.p before you end up with founder (sounds like you're already going to have to deal with early stages of laminitis).

As for the type of hay, I can't help you with that as we generally only have meadow hay or haylage, though you can buy chopped alfalfa. I'd use whatever was the lowest calorie & sugar levels wise.

You do need to get the vet out a.s.a.p, or at the very least the farrier needs to come back and explain exactly what he means and what you need to do about it.

newrider.com