What turnout rug for cob pony with fresh irish clip

Jan 20, 2020
Our new pony arrived at the weekend - we've not found out how he deals with cold yet. He was clipped last week by previous owner and im wondering which turnout rug to use during tomorrow's cold snap? Hes 13.2hh and his remaining coat isn't very long, not much mane as its growing out from being hogged.

He came with a neckless light weight rug, which has seen better days - few small holes in etc - and I've got him a medium weight rug with neck piece. Hes stabled from 3 pm to 7am but I'm wondering which will be best in tomorrow's dry but cold day out on the field?? I worry about him getting too hot but don't want him getting cold either. He isn't one for running around and warming himself up.

Thanks in advance x

Our new pony arrived at the weekend - we've not found out how he deals with cold yet. He was clipped last week by previous owner and im wondering which turnout rug to use during tomorrow's cold snap? Hes 13.2hh and his remaining coat isn't very long, not much mane as its growing out from being hogged.

He came with a neckless light weight rug, which has seen better days - few small holes in etc - and I've got him a medium weight rug with neck piece. Hes stabled from 3 pm to 7am but I'm wondering which will be best in tomorrow's dry but cold day out on the field?? I worry about him getting too hot but don't want him getting cold either. He isn't one for running around and warming himself up.

Thanks in advance x
Should add he's a cob

I would go with the medium. I think from memory the clip i saw the other day is the similar to what my two have. They are out 24/7 and are currently in mediums and have been for weeks now. Of course if you are down south then possibbly warmer climate than the north. If when you get him in and take rug off he has wet patches on the non clipped bit then hes too warm. But i would think its unlikely given the chilly temps currently.

How does he feel in the stable in the morning? I'd worry that a medium weight with a neck may be a bit much, is the neck detachable? In dry but chilly, unless very windy, I'd probably only have a medium with no neck on my hunter clipped welsh cob. If he feels warm or cold in the stable in the morning then be guided by that.

why was he clipped? For health reasons?

Is he fat.... thin.... is it very cold where you are?

IMHO, if raining, put on rain sheet.
If freezing and vile and out - put on slight fill.

I think we over-think our horse's core temperature. Do not think just because you are cold, he is cold. You really want his internal central heating boiler to work. If you rug him up (he should not be snuggly and warm under the rug) then you will ruin his internal workings and this way lies problems in the future.

Couldn't resist showing a prime example of that internal central heating boiler at work. Exhibit 1 - Hogan's frosty bottom - warm as toast underneath!Screenshot_20200127-203349_Gallery.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sam_and_Cleggy
Thanks for your good advice - different points of view but I guess the main thing is try both options and check him. I don't feel it's been cold enough yet to worry about but tomorrow is going to be very cold and windy and his turnout is on an exposed site with no shelter.

I'll do the touch test and check for any sweaty patches. I'll have to be careful not to over-rug as hes almost healed from some rain scold (hence past owner keeping him clipped) and sweating could flare it up I guess.

Reactions: Huggy
I would either turn out naked or put a rainsheet on. It isn’t really cold at all right now. My horse has lived out all winter naked, he isn’t clipped this year but in previous years he has been fully clipped and only worn a lw rug in the rain. I have never seen him cold and he certainly doesn’t shiver it off going by the size of his belly.

Horses thermoneutral zone is 0c-25c so they really don't feel the cold like us (ours is 20c-22c), I'm debating leaving my 2 very fine coated QHs naked today, yes it will be chilly but if its dry they feel the cold less, if I get out there and its still damp then they will get their no neck rain sheets (no fill). They've had 100g full neck and 200g half neck respectively last night because it was hammering down, windy and they live out. My 2 with decent coats aren't rugged. Its meant to be 6c here today though, with wind chill about -2c.
Being too warm could definitely flare up rain scald. Imo you don't want them to feel 'toasty' under a rug just not cold, I still check the base of the ears for a better guide.
From a cold day last week (was about -3 I think) Hank showing how well insulating a natural coat is :)
DSC_3755.JPG

Last edited:
How cold is your cold snap? It's going to be between 4 and 8 degrees here today. For that weather Ale would have been in a lw if raining or naked if dry with a high trace clip. But if it's going to be minus 12 then my answer would be different.

Zero degrees and we had snow I stuck with the lightweight rather than neck combo medium but I'm finding that rain scold is flaring up on his exposed neck now (healing well on his rear end). I think I'll get a rain sheet with a neck piece for now. Seems sensible to try that x

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Umm odd that rainscald is flairing up on the clipped bit. Try to keep the area dry. So a neck peice might help. Whilst i suggest keeping dry i think when mine did that years ago i used an antiseptic cream applied to the areas.

If it's rainscald it's worth washing off with diluted hibiscrub and then treating with mud fever cream (it's the same bacteria).

I find buying rugs with detachable necks gives much more flexibility.

I hope your new boy has settled in quickly and you're enjoying spending time together.

Reading what you have said he's actually only outside in any weather for eight hours.
I would be putting on a sheet if the rainscald could be from overheating?
But the exposed section could be because it's got too cold.

What clip did he have when you viewed. It's a tad annoying for the seller to do that if you hadn't discussed it. Especially as you haven't got anything to cover the recent exposed parts, worse if thats the first clip of the season.

Umm odd that rainscald is flairing up on the clipped bit. Try to keep the area dry. So a neck peice might help. Whilst i suggest keeping dry i think when mine did that years ago i used an antiseptic cream applied to the areas.
Thanks - I'm currently looking into what are the best remedies for the rain scald. I've had tee tree shampoo recommended as a good, mild aid so have got some to try from my local horsey store as well, but all other suggestions welcome if anyone has ideas x

If it's rainscald it's worth washing off with diluted hibiscrub and then treating with mud fever cream (it's the same bacteria).

I find buying rugs with detachable necks gives much more flexibility.

I hope your new boy has settled in quickly and you're enjoying spending time together.
Thanks - will get some mud fever cream too

Reading what you have said he's actually only outside in any weather for eight hours.
I would be putting on a sheet if the rainscald could be from overheating?
But the exposed section could be because it's got too cold.

What clip did he have when you viewed. It's a tad annoying for the seller to do that if you hadn't discussed it. Especially as you haven't got anything to cover the recent exposed parts, worse if thats the first clip of the season.
I think the seller thought they were 'making him look nice' - but you're right, it is proving tricky for me to manage without much warning beforehand in terms of preparation for rugs...and yes, I think it could be first clip of the season

To add issues, the lightweight rug he came with is tight fit and rubs/restricts movement a bit across the front. I'll get there in the end I guess with a bit of shopping around x

I said antiseptic, i ment antibacterial. Sorry i was taking a phonecall so it interrupted my train of thought.
Anyway its come to me now i used Dermoline Wound Cream in a tube.
Actually says it uses zinc oxide and tea tree.

If you're on a yard with some similar sized horses it might be worth asking people if you could try on their rugs for fit. Different makes do fit differently and rugs aren't cheap so you don't want to make mistakes if you can help it.

newrider.com