What Toys Did You Play With/Want As A Child?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Well-i must be hitting a significant number next bd because i am l
ooking at vintage toys on Ebay.
I am, one shocked at some of the prices, but also tempted to buy what my parents said i couldn't have-because i can now . :mstickle:

Ok i will start you off.

I had Carebears and My Little Pony, also a snugglebum that lit up when you squeezed it. Think it was pink.
I had a plastic green treehouse, which used to catch my finger when i shut it, would be recalled these days!
Fuzzy felt, and they still make that!

eta- i had tiny tears, possibly sindy. Apart from that i didn't play with dolls. Had large black plastic horse, almost spotted and odd markings. Not sure who made that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMyEDCtA_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Basic plastic dollies, stuffed toys, lego, mechano, toy cars. (had an older brother)

I don't remember any "branded" toys until I had a Thunderbolt palomino, plastic horse and the lone Ranger's horse. Had a Cindy doll, but the plastic that covered her bendy knees perished and she ended up looking like a macabre RTA victim.

I had tiny tears too... And trolls... And puppy in my pocket.

I always wanted a polls in my pocket and one of those yellow/red cars you sat in and moved it with your feet (they went through where floor should have been)... My friend had one and I loved it

I'm trying to think of the Christmas pressies I got which were favourites. Definitely Tiny Tears - I was over the moon when I got one - an orange Spacehopper when I was a bit older that gave me a fright when I woke up in the night and saw it grinning at me from the bottom of the bed. I also had Cindy, then Barbie and an Action Man with one foot that was a cast-off from my brother and an Action Man horse, because I liked them better than the girlie ones. I did have another plastic horse that had jointed legs, can't remember what it was called but they were very popular at the time and the legs nearly always fell off. And then there were 'bendy' dolls that were a big craze at one point. I also had loads and loads of little plastic horses, were they made by Britten?, and a (cast off) wooden toy garage that I made into a stable and lots of annoying plastic fencing that fell over and took the whole lot down with it if you accidentally knocked it. I'd play 'ranches' with my best friend and we'd set up our little homesteads and neat fields full of horses all over each others bedroom floors, those were the days!

My favourite toys for many years were my Britains horses. I had at least one of every horse they made between 1965 or thereabouts and 1975, and each horse had a name and a full personal history and character.

The toy I wanted more than anything was the proper stable that Britains made for them to live in, which was out when I was 12. But it cost £5 and my parents said they couldn't get it for me even for my birthday. As if by magic my dad's best friend from America came to visit and HE BOUGHT IT FOR ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY! Joy unbounded.

I did have a doll called Samantha and a Barbie, but my Barbie didn't have a horse so what was the point of her?

I had a tiny tears when I was little, Cindy too and and action mans horse - I liked it better, also lego and my brothers had scalectrix (sp) which we had set up on my poor mothers kitchen floor. We used to spend a lot of time outdoors though, either push biking or go carting or just playing in the local woods.
My very favorite toy was my rocking horse - well didn't have rockers it was kind of suspended on springs (H&S nightmare nowdays I would imagine) I called him dapple, not very original as he was dapple grey!

I had tiny tears too... And trolls... And puppy in my pocket.

I always wanted a polls in my pocket and one of those yellow/red cars you sat in and moved it with your feet (they went through where floor should have been)... My friend had one and I loved it

Ahh, now, yes, I did have a tiny tears, I never knew it was as it was second hand and not in the box, one day I pulled its head off and found the tubes conneting the mouth to the eyes,:yellowcarded:

I had all the usual Barbie, Sindy, etc, BUT only with the horses, jump set, tack, riding gear, etc. I also had the big Sindy house, which pretty much got converted into a stables! I would make various tack from stuff laying around the house. I also had Champion the Wonder Horse, and just about every model horse you could think of!

My dad renovated my mum's lovely old dolls house and I got that for my 7th birthday, that quickly became 'Red Roof Animal Sanctuary' complete with sign and opening hours, and I filled it with animals! :D

I also had loads of Breyer models, with the riders, tack, sulky, etc.

My Tiny Tears also got dismantled one day when I needed to figure out where the water went. I had lots of my mum's old toys, including all the lead Britains figures.

My dad made me a fantastic model farm one christmas (I was about 5 or 6), the roof came off all the buildings to reach inside, there was a duck pond, pigsty, cow barn, etc. I spent hours and hours playing with that. Next christmas he made me a riding school in the same scale/style. That was played with SO much, we had shows, jumping competitions, and I remember acting out various scenes from horsey TV shows with the Britains horses and riders.

Of course, my favourites were Nobby Hobby Horse my mum made me, and Cobweb my big rocking horse which I got when I was very young. He was massive to a tiny child! (And yes, when I go 'home' to Dad's house, I still have a sneaky ride on him!)

Well in the early 50s there was not much about!! i did have a pedal car, and a golliwog called cuthbert..very un PC now!!
Can't remember any other toys, as i spent most of my time with my dad Ferreting..i remember vividly walking home when i was about 5 with two baby rabbits running around inside my shirt..They were my pets and lived in the house inside the armchairs, proabably the very first house rabbits:smile::smile:

I had loads of FisherPrice people and school/house/fire station etc.
And a 'green machine' which was a kind of car you sat in with a handbrake you could pull up to make you spin round.
And Simon - a 4 game with 4 coloured buttons that you had to press in sequence.
Also: Mastermind, were you had 4 pegs of different colours and people had to work out what they were. And Sorry which drove me mad because my brother and sister always ganged up on me.

I had a couple of barbie dolls but most importantly I had a herd of barbie horses. Nibbles was my favourite, she had a magnet in her mouth so you could "feed" her the little basket of apples or oats that you got with her. I used to get the newest barbie horse every christmas.

I also had a couple of disney princess dolls, my favourite was the little mermaid which mysteriously went missing one day after a friend came over. I collected ty beanie babies.

I loved kerplunk and mouse trap board games and loved my lego set.

That is all that sticks in my head.

I wasn't allowed My little pony though which was so annoying as my friend had loads and I always wanted my own!

ETA I forgot my favourite toy of all!!! A cardboard box with scissors and pens to make a castle/stable with and decorate it!

Well in the early 50s there was not much about!! i did have a pedal car, and a golliwog called cuthbert..very un PC now!!
Can't remember any other toys, as i spent most of my time with my dad Ferreting..i remember vividly walking home when i was about 5 with two baby rabbits running around inside my shirt..They were my pets and lived in the house inside the armchairs, proabably the very first house rabbits:smile::smile:

I had a little red pedal car and a fancy scooter with pneumatic tyres and a front and back brake! Posh or what!

I had my little pony, care bears, the big yellow teapot, strawberry shortcake doll, flower fairies .. Think they were all my most played with toys.

I remember always wanting hungry hippos game, buckaroo, operation, a wuzzle & finders keepers toys and a mr frosty !

I used to love dressing up so got outfits.

I remember now having cabbage patch dolls, cheap because didn't have certificates.

I didn't have Simon game but friends did. I had Frustration and Operation. Yes i had the space hopper. I also got a bike without gears, that was heavy and harder than walking.
I had those health and safety roller skates that tied to your shoes and didn't really assist you except in falling over.

We used to play out and do hopscotch-before you were banned from that. Conkers-before you had to wear goggles!

Great thread!
I had Fuzzy Felts too!!
Other things I had were a daisywheel typewriter and a cash register! Loved those. Had a batman car to play with in the bath and also a selection of my older brothers Corgi car models. I had a wonderful white dolls house at my nan's which was a special treat as I only went once every two weeks.
When I got a bit older I had more books than toys!

Basic plastic dollies, stuffed toys, lego, mechano, toy cars. (had an older brother)

I don't remember any "branded" toys until I had a Thunderbolt palomino, plastic horse and the lone Ranger's horse. Had a Cindy doll, but the plastic that covered her bendy knees perished and she ended up looking like a macabre RTA victim.

Lol!!! Poor Cindy!!!

Who had the girls world head? It was for make up and stuff i think. I didn't have one.

I do recall spirograph, etch a sketch, but it may have been friends who had these. Definitely friends had Speak and Spell or whatever it was.

I wanted a Girl's World head! lol My friend had one and we used to turn her into a punk! lol

I had Spirographs too and Doodle Art!
I used to have my older sisters Barbie but got into bother and I spoilt her hair...(it was long and reddy brown!)

newrider.com