What to look for in a Saddler?

Daydreamer

Sep 30, 2005
How do you find a Saddler you can really rely on?

We had one Saddler look at our daughter's pony when we bought her in August of last year. He highly recommended a Thorowgood synthetic saddle, so we bought one brand new. Never did I feel it was right. It seemed too long, was bridging and the pony's back clearly became sore.

I asked around for another Saddler recommendation, paid this new Saddler £60 to come out, look at the pony and declare that the saddle wasn't right for her. I told him I'd like a second hand leather saddle for her and put our barely used Thorowgood up for sale. That was four weeks ago and only today did I hear from him for the first time to say he'd found ONE saddle (outside our price range).

So tell me; what was the point? Don't take 4 weeks to find one poxy saddle I can't afford then waste my time by suggesting you come back with that one, solitary offering. And how much was he wanting to to throw in his direction for the privilege?

What does everyone else look for in a Saddler? Am I right to think that the service I've received by the sum total of Saddlers I've dealt with in my life has been rather shoddy?

If I took that approach in my job, I'd be destitute living under a bridge...

Finding a 2nd hand saddle in budget isn't always easy for a saddler or for an owner especially if the horse isn't straight forward to fit. I waited weeks sometimes a few months to find the correct saddle at a cost that suited me. But you can often find them yourself on places like eBay if you know what you are to look for for bargain prices. Then get the saddler to come and check fit but obviously it won't always work out and you may be back to square one of looking again with a saddle to sell.
I prefer a saddler that sells a variety of makes as less chance of pushing a certain brand on you as that's what they sell.
Saddle fitting can be difficult though, word of mouth goes along way in my eyes so ask around about local saddlers or saddlers further a field as alot do rounds up and down the country.

I had problems finding a saddler that I could trust. My previous saddler agreed a price for the check with me beforehand, and then agreed that the saddle fitted my horse but not me. He was trying to sell me a brand new dressage saddle that I didn't want or couldn't afford, and when he realised he wasn't going to get a sale he decided to put literally a 10pence worth of flocking in the front of my saddle and charged me an extra £65 for it.

When I needed the saddle checked again, I put up a post on my facebook page asking for recommendations. I made sure I spoke to her before she came out so that she understood my needs and expectations. She was fabulous. It's all down to local recommendation I think.

The saddler I had used is also a Chriopractor. He used to do horses AND people .
It was a bit odd that Andi and I both had him:rolleyes:

He has given up his people part of the practice and just does horses now.

I was very pleased when he fit Andi's dressage saddle to her.

Thanks for your replies you guys. I'm glad it's not just me. I've asked the saddler to source a few saddles before he comes back and told him that we're waiting for him. Might be a good idea to get a plan B sorted - just in case he lets me down.

newrider.com