What to do...dressage test related

candyman

May 6, 2015
I'm out next weekend for the first time in almost a year to do some dressage. My horse can be quite tense so im unsure whether to just go out and do 2 intro tests or whether to go straight in and do an intro followed by a prelim. We were working at prelim last summer and he is schooling ok but that doesn't mean he will be as relaxed at competition as he will be schooling at home.

I'm in the same position and doing two intros but actually I would switch to one intro and one prelim, only I know both the intros and haven't had a chance to look at the prelim due to issues with using the school. My tests are tomorrow and I don't mind admitting I am pooing my pants already! I am first on and will be done by 10.30 so I guess that's a blessing anyway!

I've learnt both intro's and the prelim one although sure my mind may go blank on the day lol. A friend that dressages has said to go for the prelim as it's all there but our last time out let's just say he found canter exciting and we had some very interesting comments from the judge. Good luck for tomorrow Squidsin. Let us know how it went.

Reactions: squidsin
Go for the intro and prelim. What does it matter if the horse is tense and you come last. I came last in pretty much every dressage test for a year until I started to learn to relax and then my scores went up. Just go and enjoy the day and don't worry about it too much.

One of each. I told squidsin off for doing two prelims. A walk trot is a lovely way to start and relax them but if you are looking at competing the rest of the summer better to bite the bullet early and start working on the preliminary as your second test.

I ran through the prelim last night. It rode quite nicely and there's a couple of things to work on like the changing the bend across the 2 half circles but I think we can do it. I've entered both intro's for now but have til wednesday to change my mind so will work on it all and see how we go.

newrider.com