What should I do when my Horse's hooves smell bad?

Well, I would pick it out and clean it - use a hoof spray or water. If it’s still smelly when it’s clean then your horse probably has an infection like thrush. This can be serious, or not very serious. I always give the hoof a spray with Sole Cleanse if ‘s a bit whiffy. If the smell doesn’t go away, you may need a more intensive treatment.

I assume your horse is sound?

Regularly picking out the feet will help. But the big question is what surface is your horse stood on. Do you stable, are they stood in a muddy field or is it grass, do you poo pick the field.
Agree smelly feet could indicate thrush or bacteria.
Some people use diluted apple cider vinegar.

Reactions: Ellie24
Diluted Milton fluid is another remedy. Have you asked your farrier/trimmer for their suggestions? They would be my number one expert of choice.

If the feet smell bad I would clean them and allow him to stand in some clean and dry bedding for a portion of the day. If they continue to smell, the horse may have thrush and will need to be treated. Asking your vet or farrier seems the obvious choice to me.

Regularly picking out the feet will help. But the big question is what surface is your horse stood on. Do you stable, are they stood in a muddy field or is it grass, do you poo pick the field.
Agree smelly feet could indicate thrush or bacteria.
Some people use diluted apple cider vinegar.
Yeah! He stood on the grass.

Get into a routine of picking feet out twice daily and spraying with one of the above treatments every time until the smell/black areas return to normal. Then pick once daily as normal and spray once a week for maintenance.
Thrush is a common bacterial and/or fungal infection, being exposed to fresh air stops it from growing (which is why we must clean the feet so often). It generally starts from standing around in manure or wet/mud too much.

Get into a routine of picking feet out twice daily and spraying with one of the above treatments every time until the smell/black areas return to normal. Then pick once daily as normal and spray once a week for maintenance.
Thrush is a common bacterial and/or fungal infection, being exposed to fresh air stops it from growing (which is why we must clean the feet so often). It generally starts from standing around in manure or wet/mud too much.
Should, i make the floor from concrete?

Should, i make the floor from concrete?
It’s not necessary for it to be concrete, but some kind of dry area for them to stand in helps, but just routine cleaning (of feet and clearing away manure) is enough if you have them living in the field 24/7.

It’s not necessary for it to be concrete, but some kind of dry area for them to stand in helps, but just routine cleaning (of feet and clearing away manure) is enough if you have them living in the field 24/7.
Thanks the problem has been resolved.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com