what should i be getting out of my lessons?

lilly

Dec 17, 1999
Visit site
i've been riding since late June and i don't know what i should be getting out of my lessons. so far i've of course walked, trotted and cantored, however we only ride around the arena and i'm looking for something to futher challenge me. we did exercises the other day wt poles and weaving in and out of them. should i be doing more in my lesson? i really would like to know how far along i should be now. i previously have never ridden before my 6months of riding lessons (once a week) i don't own a horse......but sure would like to :) thanks so much for your info. :)

You should get out of your lessons what you put in them. If you aren't putting any effort forth, then you cannot expect to get very far. If you are putting a lot of effort in, then you can maybe ask if you can try new things. I think that people want to try it all in a week, but when they can't do it, they aren't happy. So, don't get in pver your head.

well, i'm really not sure what Medalia means by "getting in over your head", but if you feel you'd like a bit more of a challenge, perhaps you could try talking with your instructor a bit. begin by asking yourself a few questions, though. are you comfortable with your riding at the moment? do you feel that you need more experience or confidence in the saddle before you try something new (say, for example, more specific western-type events, some trail riding, or perhaps moving to English)? what are your goals? it sounds like you really enjoy riding, but perhaps you want more out of it than just being around horses and knowing how to ride (there are lots of people who do just that and are perfectly happy). after i had been riding a while, i already knew that i absolutely loved it and wanted to set some goals for myself. one of those goals was to get my riding to the point where i could lease a horse a begin learning dressage. i'm now doing that, and it's great.

so... do a bit of reading, think of some things you'd like to do, or perhaps even some simple, more generalized goals (eg, "i want to be able to sit to the canter like i was born in the saddle", or something) and talk it over with your instructor (if he/she is the "talking type", of course!). perhaps there is a more advanced group lesson he or she could put you in, or perhaps you could do some more advanced stuff individually. think about trying English riding, as well - not that there aren't a great many Western events (i don't know too much about them, but i know they exist!), but within the English realm of things, there seem to be a greater number of "disciplines" - hunt seat, jumping, dressage, cross-country, endurance, even competitive trail riding (which you can also do in a western saddle). :)

Hi

I agree that you should talk to your instructor - only she can push you on because she chooses the horse you ride and the activities you do in a lesson. I have lessons on several different horses and find that what I learn depends on the horse as much as on me. On a particularly green horse, for example, I have to concentrate on her paces and getting her to go where i want her to go. On an eventing horse, I have learnt half-pass, rein back, halt to canter and turns on the forehand - none on which would have been possible on the inexperienced horse. So, tell your instructor what you want and she will hopefully give you a horse capable of teahing you - when she feels you are ready.

newrider.com