What Sentence Has Stayed With You And From Whom?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Interesting idea for a thread.

Just looking at a Micheal Pearce video and one sentence has stood out straight off.
'Set it up so the horse can suceed"

In a way annoying though it feels to me sometimes, that's what I am doing with the cob and our hacking. She for whatever reason can't leave the yard without a foot buddy. So I am being that buddy so she can succeed with my request.
She hates being corrected, hates being told she is wrong, but she loves to please-as they all do. By setting it up do she can succeed she gets praised and she is more likely to try and more.

Mark Rashid" Reward the try"

Ray Hunt "We need to recognise the smallest try"

Ken Faulkner "Its not right, its not wrong, it just is"

Over to you.

'Never enter into an argument you can't ever win' - Boy is that true with so many things in dealing with horses both on the ground and ridden - far better to work around the issue than go for an all out war, because of course, you will never win!:smile:

Oh loads of them NF. I will probably have to go away and think. As you probably know, I can be very blunt, so I must think, I love these kind of threads. I am looking forward to reading peoples comments:smoke:

Motorcycling trainer said to me " just imagine everyone on the road is out to kill you " ! Made me very aware as a road user and has always stuck with me even if on a horse or in a car!

also " fridge pickers have bigger knickers " it always goes through my head if I am approaching the fridge in search of a snack! That was on a magnet I saw in a shop once!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart" don't know who said it but its on a necklace I have had for years and I love the sentence.I feel like this on a daily basis with malaika and harry.
"What is wiffy?" My mum after seeing wi fi on a sign :D
"What doesn't get done today will still there tomorrow" my grandad and I find this a very useful sentence for patience.

Horsey wise - 'a horse only knows what it does' - from my YO/RI - possibly the wisest thing I have heard anyone say regarding horses behaviour/experience and from Mr Parelli who I am not hugely keen on, 'prior and proper preparation prevents pee poor performance' and also 'if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got'

Non horsey wise

'five minutes later in this life is better than five minutes early in the next'

Ha Ha! :giggle: We are alright Mrs:smile: tis the rest of the world lol

I have thought of another I seen on a fridge magnet that I loved
"I know I'm on my own planet,its ok though,they know me here"
I swear I thought it had been wrote for me :D

What happens on tour stays on tour until they turn up at your desk - my dad before I went on my first tour of duty and he was so right.

Never go to bed angry - because for me it means no sleep instead of my normal 4 hours thinking it over

and finally

No man is worth fighting for, if they don't respect you enough to not cheat on you why would you fight for them to stay.

Mark Rashid - "When you are just thinking of upping the pressure it is probably time to decrease it."

Arabian proverb "The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."

respect must be earned!

I agree with this for 'life' as well - I see little point to 'respect by default' only because of someone's age/title/job - if someone acts like a tit, why respect them :p

works for horses as well - if I treat my horses like a piece of cr*p, why should they treat me any differently?

JUlia
x

It is often said, there is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse. (Ronald Regan).

Perhaps he got it from Winston Churchill: There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.

Last edited:
newrider.com