What question to ask owner when loaning a horse?

EarlGrey

Jan 3, 2012
Is it daft to ask why the owner is putting their horse on loan?

I thought not but the owner of the horse I have been in touch with dosn't see why I need to know and therefore won't tell me!

Its put me off, what do you think?

Bit odd. When I originally got my boy on LWVTB I knew every reason she was looking to sell him bit loan him first.
I'd be a bit dubious personally.
I had a few others lined up too but had a gut feeling about at least one that they were just looking to board the horse out till they were ready to take it back and I did not want that.

Agree with JC. I don't see why they wouldnt tell you something - ultimately they could have replied with not the 'whole' truth if it was personal! Ie just saying for personal reasons...

Because she's not told you anything I would be worried it was something to do with the horse....

I'd feel uneasy about it. Even if she doesn't want to divulge personal stuff at least an intimation of why would be useful. Agree with JC 100%.

However personal it is, they could say something general like "Not enough time" or "family things" or "I'm not fit any more" ... Refusing to answer sounds a bit worrying, even though they may have a perfectly good reason.

The first question I ask if I'm buying a horse is "why are you selling?".

Very peculiar. If people can't be open, I would steer well clear, whatever their reasons.

Is it daft to ask why the owner is putting their horse on loan?

I thought not but the owner of the horse I have been in touch with dosn't see why I need to know and therefore won't tell me!

Its put me off, what do you think?

Late to the conversation but IMHO avoid avoid avoid! It could well be a personal reason in which case I would respect an owner who said "I hope you don't mind me not explaining it fully because it's very personal". But to not tell you at all could be masking all sorts of problems further down the line - including a big question mark over what else might the owner be unwilling to tell you??

Thanks, I've knocked that one on the head now. As you can see I'm desperate for a horse but at the same time whether I loan or buy its still a big commitment and I have every right to ask questions to find the right horse.

newrider.com