What our horses get up to at night

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
:)
Since ours have been going out more or less 24/7 it's been really interesting to watch them. Last night was perfect for horse watching in the moonlight but I have to say, thanks to Mr T (night owl!) that today I am shattered! Lol
They start off grazing in the top paddock then bring themselves down onto the yard about ten thirty. Then have a mosey around, into their boxes to hoover up any left over hay. Then into the school and golly it was funny last night as OH poked me awake about one o'clock - Chloe had her nose pressed up against the caravan window! Hahahaaaaa, she'd decided to have walk around the arena. So funny. Then the fog came and you could just make out their shapes. Both stood side by side a while and then toddled off back to the yard - could hear the clatter of feet and then I presume they did their best Black Beauty impressions and galloped back up the hill. At this point I fell asleep. This morning they had come back down and made attempts to wake us - whinnying at 6am!!!
They're both napping in their boxes now. Just makes me think about all the years they've stayed indoors, they must have been very bored!

I'm completely anti stable, Trewsers. I accept that folk use them, but I just can't get my head around locking a huge animal up in a room similar in size to how i would feel sitting in my bathroom. (And you can't swing a cat in there as it's a shower and toilet and even the door has to open out the way because there's not enough space.)
It sounds like your girls have the perfect set up, free to come and go as they please. I'm very jealous! I love to sit and watch the horses, I get comments from dog walkers and folk passing as I'm always there, often just sitting watching them graze.

Reactions: Trewsers
It made me think earlier in the summer when I used to watch Chloe with her head hanging over her door. Despite having a very generous net she still just stood there, and it made me wonder just how bored she was. Its proved a success, I've no doubt during the really wet windy time we have here they'll come back down the hill for a break from it - but I am really glad on the whole and feel better knowing their joints are getting stiffer through standing in.

I've been doing the same trews - working strange hours means I see them at strange hours! Night time mine are at their liveliest! They seem to come in at sunrise, and then they mooch in and out all day, back in for sunset and then out all night! I think flies play a big part in it :)

I've been doing the same trews - working strange hours means I see them at strange hours! Night time mine are at their liveliest! They seem to come in at sunrise, and then they mooch in and out all day, back in for sunset and then out all night! I think flies play a big part in it :)

I once read somewhere that evening was their playtime and that they were more alert.

No matter the weather or what time of night I go down jess is always munching and mooching about and they always have their 11am snooze so defiantly night owls

When I stayed at camp last year I could watch and listen. They did have the odd trot round in the night. But she was with horses she didn't know.

On our yard I don't know as much but this morning they were all full of it. Its mega windy on the top coming in and mine did think of going for a hoolie with her pals. She started off downhill and my OI must have more authority. She is in season-again!:D

Love it! Wish I could give Roxy that option, although she's happy not doing anything so long as she's got a big enough haynet. My last YO said to me 'horses should just go to sleep after their dinner, like humans.' Really, what utter nonsense!

newrider.com