What More

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
What with dealing with mother, war situation with neighbours, OH is now really unwell as creaky as hell can hardly move and at the moment not safe to drive.

So everything he did is now my job as well.

Final straw today, had booked a bulk collection of 2 old sofas and a chair to take to the dump - can't physically move them on my own, so they are on the communal driveway and to be collected today, paid £46.25 for the service. Got this message this morning which says that they have to be wrapped in waterproof covering, nowhere on the booking did it mention this, this is the first time it has been mentioned. How many folks have a waterproof covering to wrap a sofa???? So they probably won't take it. And i then have the added issue to trying to move the fucking things myself having paid them to do it.

Frankly if i drop down dead today i really could not give a fuck apart from what would happen to my pets.

will be collected on 25/11/2021.

Don't forget to put the item(s) out at the collection point by 7.30 in the morning.

Just a reminder for the health and safety of our staff:

• please adhere to Scottish Government guidelines on social distancing and don't approach staff or their lorry
  • ensure soft furnishing items such as sofas and mattresses are wrapped in a waterproof covering
Please note that you can no longer make amendments to your collection or request a refund.

How ridiculous - who on earth has a sofa wrapping in their collection of "useful" items?! Well, if they don't take them, just leave them there. They'll take them in the end - an enforcement officer will come and visit and tell you to move them. At which point you can tell him where to shove it and that you've already tried to get them moved! Fingers crossed they aren't in a pernickety mood and take them as they are.
Sorry you are having such a bad time - life is horrid sometimes when things pile up. Your animals need you - hang in there, things will get better. They have to!

Do you not have a tarp you could cover the sofas with? or one of those cheap decorators polytene sheets, they would count as a waterproof covering. You can understand why they want them covered, I can imagine some people putting things like sofas and mattresses out days prior, them being rained on, then a gang of men would struggle to lift them.

Last edited:
Just to make you feel better.

I went out to feed the sheep this morning and see one in the semi light laying upside down on its back. Yes it was dead.
Sunday i put a new to me hayrack in the field for the sheep. This morning its on its side with the poor sheeps neck trapped underneath. Poor sheep. I lifted the rack straight off so her horns werent hooked up as far as i can tell. So i can only assume that the sheep havr managed to push it over and she was on the otherside and got sqashed.
Seriously i dont know why i try to look after my animals. Giving them a rack so there hay stays dry. This is also the paddock that the sheep were in last year when the poor girl went down with twin lamb. I tried all winter to feed her up only to end up loosing her two weeks before lambing. So this year i have put mineral buckets in the field, a hay rack. I still cant keep them alive.

Just to make you feel better.

I went out to feed the sheep this morning and see one in the semi light laying upside down on its back. Yes it was dead.
Sunday i put a new to me hayrack in the field for the sheep. This morning its on its side with the poor sheeps neck trapped underneath. Poor sheep. I lifted the rack straight off so her horns werent hooked up as far as i can tell. So i can only assume that the sheep havr managed to push it over and she was on the otherside and got sqashed.
Seriously i dont know why i try to look after my animals. Giving them a rack so there hay stays dry. This is also the paddock that the sheep were in last year when the poor girl went down with twin lamb. I tried all winter to feed her up only to end up loosing her two weeks before lambing. So this year i have put mineral buckets in the field, a hay rack. I still cant keep them alive.
just awful i am so sorry

Do you not have a tarp you could cover the sofas with? or one of those cheap decorators polytene sheets, they would count as a waterproof covering. You can understand why they want them covered, I can imagine some people putting things like sofas and mattresses out days prior, them being rained on, then a gang of men would struggle to lift them.
well that would be me, as you are meant to have them out at least a day before they come and I have had to rely on folks helping me lift them as i can't do it on my own. IF they had said so before booking, i wouldn't have got them dragged out for collection. I don't have a spare tarp or other stuff and at 7am when they come same morning it's a bit late to try to find something. anyway they have been out overnight so if they are wet they are wet.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
How ridiculous - who on earth has a sofa wrapping in their collection of "useful" items?! Well, if they don't take them, just leave them there. They'll take them in the end - an enforcement officer will come and visit and tell you to move them. At which point you can tell him where to shove it and that you've already tried to get them moved! Fingers crossed they aren't in a pernickety mood and take them as they are.
Sorry you are having such a bad time - life is horrid sometimes when things pile up. Your animals need you - hang in there, things will get better. They have to!
Been out on Buddy so feeling slightly better as he is a great tonic. I purposely didn't get them loaded onto the trailer to take to the dump myself as with OH a creaking wreck at the moment and hardly able to lift a teacup, there was no way he could help me.

Our animals usually do make us feel better. I'm sorry things are so bad for you just now. Easy to say, I know, but you really do need to try and look after you - there are times that we just have to be a teeny bit selfish, and this is one if ever there was. I hope they take it, sans covering!

Our animals usually do make us feel better. I'm sorry things are so bad for you just now. Easy to say, I know, but you really do need to try and look after you - there are times that we just have to be a teeny bit selfish, and this is one if ever there was. I hope they take it, sans covering!
I found an old sheet from a pergola and have ripped up some bin bags and shoved them all over it, looks a total mess! The neighbours will probably complain now!

Are they a genuine company. Sounds to me more like it aint going to the tip more like taking and resealing.
They do this down here, of course you have to pay them for the privilege of collecting it but they actually say in the blurb that they will resell if possible. To be honest since I discovered Facebook marketplace I’ve managed to get loads of things gone that I’d have otherwise had to pay the council to collect.

I found an old sheet from a pergola and have ripped up some bin bags and shoved them all over it, looks a total mess! The neighbours will probably complain now!
Who cares, with everything you’ve got going on that’s the least of your worries, let them complain then tell them to do one!

Reactions: Trewsers
They do this down here, of course you have to pay them for the privilege of collecting it but they actually say in the blurb that they will resell if possible. To be honest since I discovered Facebook marketplace I’ve managed to get loads of things gone that I’d have otherwise had to pay the council to collect.
the sofa is utterly filthy and knackered, the ones I bought to replace them i got on market place, probably cost around £3K each and paid £150 for them as someone changing colour scheme. Cats are already having fun with them but so what.

It's been collected, OH been to chiro and a little better, just plod on

Excellent - one thing off your plate.
yes all i have to do is net off my hen run by 29th November to pointlessly protect my hens from avian flu.

If you look at previous scotland stats for positive tests, there was 1 case in 2017 a peregrine falcon in Dumfries, none in 2018, 2019, and 12 in 2020 and they were all geese or swans. I do not have a river in my garden and the nearest swans/geese winter roosts are at least 8 miles away and none tested positive in previous years and the lady who has hens next to where they winter has never had any issues in 20 plus years. But we all have to either keep our hens in or net them off to keep wild birds and their poo out. Last year, i used to drive around and I think i was the only person who kept their hens in until they were enclosed under a waterproof fine mesh netting.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
OH now been up all night on loo with the bug i had earlier, so empathise, so he is in bed. Storm Arwen has taken down most of my hen netting so another big job to do.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com