What is your horse scared of?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
My horse is pretty sensible and doesn't get too upset about things. However he is scared of the following:

1. Noises that he can't see. I recently found out that hedgecutters are horse eating!
2. Flapping plastic bag. He won't spook but he will get tense.
3. Random people where he doesn't expect them to be. He always has a look at dog walkers.

What is your horse most scared of?

I don't think she's really scared, but what she pretends to be scared of is:
- The buddleia that grow round our school, when they are in flower
- A square someone had painted on a grass verge
- Piles of fly-tipped crap in places there aren't meant to be piles of fly-tipped crap

She's not keen on the bin lorry or tractors with trailers, but no more so than any other horse. She's actually really good with things blowing about, banging things, things falling over etc.

Reactions: AliciaA
My horse is pretty sensible and doesn't get too upset about things. However he is scared of the following:

1. Noises that he can't see. I recently found out that hedgecutters are horse eating!
2. Flapping plastic bag. He won't spook but he will get tense.
3. Random people where he doesn't expect them to be. He always has a look at dog walkers.

What is your horse most scared of?
My cob sounds like your horse:D He's dislikes large vehicles ect coming up behind him or just noise he can't see although is instantly braver if he's turned to see it. He doesn't like prams, bus stops, people sat in vans when the vans stood, tbh he's a bit of a wuss with most things but he's so lovely that I forgive him and he is getting better slowly( he came from the middle of nowhere so don't think he had seen a lot) Our fell before being off work is super brave and will march past most things except ride on lawnmowers, she gives them a really wide berth. :)My dales is still green so some days he's fab but others he's scared of everything:oops: Our welsh A happily Potters behind and passes anything but is a sensitive soul and dislikes bad weathero_O. My little project pony is fab, she passes everything and make have a sneaky look but nothing major.:D X

My current wee pony seems a tough nut, So far hes seen lorries, noisy trailers with flappy things on, motorbikes and livestock running up along side him and he hasnt batted an eye at them (so far so good!) Horses from my past one wasa bombproof cob!or so I thought until we met a lady with a brolly up one day. He span and charged offa few metres then stopped to eye up and quiver. I politley asked the lady to put her brolly down, and he carried on like nothing had happened! Another horse we had an incident with a swan in the middle of the road! and my driving boy used to freak at shetland ponies and he was never 100% with tractors. All in all thought they were all well mannered safe horses, just had their little quirks :)

Oh yes, I forgot about umbrellas. Ben does NOT like them. He is happy for me to put one up and hold one over his head etc. but if he sees someone coming from a distance holding one he gets scared.

Reactions: Gimp
Used to have a mare who disliked workmen in hi vis, goodness know why but would just freeze snort then try and leg it in the opposite direction,although she was fab with everything else, and me in hi vis too. :D x

Annie is scared of cows - she goes tense and gives them a wide berth, and does a big snorty huffy thing, but she does go past with a lot of reassurance from me. I can't think of anything else. And Mouse... after 4 years I'm still waiting to find something that scares him...!

1. Parked cars
2. Shetlands
3. Random out of place objects, fly tipping fridges.

What causes the most frequent problem, parked cars!

Horse drawn carriages. He shudders and poos with fear.

Foxes and pheasants who jump up under his feet.

New things on his hacking routes, he is cautious but will go up to them for a look if I ask.

- High hedges
- Other riders coming up behind us (nightmare on fun rides!!)
- Random people popping up out of nowhere

Jess doesn't fuss at much unless it's out of place, eg a motorbike on the road is fine but an illegal one in the forest is worth a hissy fit :rolleyes: and bins and rubbish in town is okay but fly tipped stuff not so much! She is genuinely very wary of dogs but will mostly just keep an eye on them unless their owner helpfully pulls them behind a bush out of our way or if they run around her feet. She is scared of our local shop door, it makes a swooshing sound as it opens and it made her jump one day so now she's a twit about going past it even if no one is going in/out :oops:

Reactions: AliciaA
Flipo isn't scared of anything in particular but if the mood takes him he can find anything scary.
I used to think he was scared of everything but that was just his general insecurity. He's a big kiff bless him.

Sonny only had one issue when I got him 7 years ago BOATS!!!
LOL he was from the middle of the state not the coast when did he ever see boats!!

I first found this out when we were at Goddard park on the beach and he is disturbed
and it was the boats.
We went there many times after and the issue was less and less
BUT THEN we were at Hopkington park and he is upset there is a small boat on top of a car
in the parking lot:eek::eek::eek::eek:
So we walk over and touch it and then further thru the ride there were lots of small rental boats out of the water
for the season in an out of the way parking lot..
He gave a good long look and sniff to every one and not does not give them a second look.

Andi would not warm up to cows!
We did a team penning clinic years ago and since she is such a bossy little brat
I exepcted her to go bite the cows on the butt.
She wanted no part of them.
She would spin in place when they moved would not get near them and my "friends"
abandoned us to the other side of the arena and acted like they did not know us
I went to a second clinic and even went and rented a few cows for a couple hours there
and went to a really low key actual team penning
I never had much fun at any and gave up on cows with her
We never got close to have any fun and I always looked like
I was the referee off to the side never getting close
So is TEAM PENNING FUN!!! I have no idea!!!

newrider.com