What is your favourite in-hand bridle...and why. Post pics and state class type too.

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I need to get Piccolo a in-hand bridle soon for youngstock/M&M classes and was just wondering what types/makes/styles/budgets everyone else has had/liked/used etc.

SO please say what your favorite in-hand bridle is (make/style/price) what breed/type of horse or classes you used it for/it would be good for and pictures would be good too. A chance to say what you like best and what you dislike about the ones you've had.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere that does reviews and they seem to vary emmensly just in style alone.

I know some breeds use white halters but I think I was told it's more correct to show a dartmoor type in a in-hand bridle.

how old is he?

we only use inhand bridles on the stallions (welshies so different) so cant review any.

this might help, dartmoors been shown at a decent show, so proper turnout :)

Because you'll only be able to do the unreg M&M and youngstock I would definatly go for an inhand bridle, I like a nice choc brown on her colour, my fav one was a shires one I got from ingatestone in the past, however it was only nice in the small sizes in cob size it didn't look so great

Because you'll only be able to do the unreg M&M and youngstock I would definatly go for an inhand bridle, I like a nice choc brown on her colour, my fav one was a shires one I got from ingatestone in the past, however it was only nice in the small sizes in cob size it didn't look so great

Yes, looking at doing unreg M&M (very small local show only to get her used to going out and about to start) and youngstock. Luckily she won't need cob size....thin she'll need a 'shetland' size. Will have a look, thanks.

This thread has reminded me what I'm meant to be making for myself (or making for Kis Vihar!) this week......:rolleyes:

And I need one for his mummy.....;)

And I need one for my big cob.....;)

I'm going to be busy! :D

now then.....see I was going to PM you but for a start I don't know what style I need/want, secondly have no idea as to price it would be and thirdly (if that's a word!) my first show is a bit short notice as is on easter monday and I didn't think you'd be able to get one done and sent by then (unless your a miracle worker and I don't know???)

:p:p I haven't forgotten your about though.......just want Piccolo to stop growing so everything will fit for longer!:p

how old is he?

we only use inhand bridles on the stallions (welshies so different) so cant review any.

this might help, dartmoors been shown at a decent show, so proper turnout :)

Thank you, that link is a help. Am I right in thinking it's only stallions that normally have clencher browbands? Piccolo (is a filly:)) is between 16 and 18 months old and will be between 17 and 19 months old at the time of first show.

I know welshies a white halter is preferred. I was advised by someone who shows dartmoors to bit so assume that's what I'd need although in your link some ponies had leather headcollars (no bit?):confused:

wouldn't mind reviews on quality of different makes as much as anything else :)

I can show you what DOESN'T look right......:) We did NOT make this bridle!! ;)

I only popped this one on KV to see if it fitted and to see what he thought of a bridle! He didn't care....but it's a full size and didn't fit! Argh! It's far too fine for him.

He needs a much more 'workmanlike' bridle. I know black is frowned upon, but here it's OK for a 'draught' breed. :) He's having brass buckles, his mum is having silver buckles.... haven't decided on leather or buckles for my cob yet! :rolleyes:

In the pic, he was trying to decide if it was possible to eat a sugar lump with a bit in......:D

Attachments

• Vihar 21-2-09 (3).jpg
    Vihar 21-2-09 (3).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Kis Vihar

Easter Monday is on the 13th April :eek::) (I had to just look it up:eek:)

Yes, agree Kis Vihar needs a 'broader' in-hand bridle :)
I saw a nice in-hand bridle for Pic but it had a rolled noseband which I know would look stupid on her:rolleyes:.

I think I'd like brass fittings and a havana (dkish) colour. I like clencher browbands but think they're only really for stallions so will probably go for something plain, maybe with fancy stitching on the noseband if I see something I like.

Thanks Kis Vihar

Easter Monday is on the 13th April :eek::) (I had to just look it up:eek:)

Yes, agree Kis Vihar needs a 'broader' in-hand bridle :)
I saw a nice in-hand bridle for Pic but it had a rolled noseband which I know would look stupid on her:rolleyes:.

I think I'd like brass fittings and a havana (dkish) colour. I like clencher browbands but think they're only really for stallions so will probably go for something plain, maybe with fancy stitching on the noseband if I see something I like.

13th of April! Now I know! ;)

Plenty of time to make one! Depending on the postage you should get it.....;)

You could 'design your own stitching pattern' for the noseband and browband if you wanted - someone else has just done that! I said we were happy to stitch their own design as long as they did NOT want flowers, dancing pixies, love-heart or the words 'I luv mi smexy horse' stitching onto it!!!!!!!!!!! :D Otherwise, we are quite flexible.............;) :D

13th of April! Now I know! ;)

Plenty of time to make one! Depending on the postage you should get it.....;)

You could 'design your own stitching pattern' for the noseband and browband if you wanted - someone else has just done that! I said we were happy to stitch their own design as long as they did NOT want flowers, dancing pixies, love-heart or the words 'I luv mi smexy horse' stitching onto it!!!!!!!!!!! :D Otherwise, we are quite flexible.............;) :D

Damn....I am from Essex you know, why can't I have something chavvy???:p

Not sure what stiching pattern would be suitable???

Also what cost am I looking at? I know quality isn't cheap as chips but cost is a factor at the moment. (Did I mention I sold my other pony and my hubby bought a electrical tester with the proceeds:eek::eek: - I will get it back though... I've been promised.:D)

This is my section D modeling his. It is only a cheapy ( £15 ) But I like it as it dosen't drown his head and it has got a clencher browband. I also bought the brass rosette's seperatly as the have welsh dragons on. He broke it a few weeks ago so I bought him a really expensive one which looked horrible on him so I sold it and have had this one repaired.

2007_0818Newcamera0010-1.jpg

At her age she should be fine to be shown in a leather halter. Only colts and ridden ponies need to be bitted, unless of course you want the added control.

I'd be inclined to go for reasonably plain leather, perhaps raised, 5/8"?

Easiest way to work out a width on a small pony, is to get a few pairs of reins (of different widths) and have somebody take a photo of her with you holding one against/around her nose (gently of course!). If you have a raised browband you could do the same with that too, just to see whether plain or raised would suit her better.

Ascot bridles do lovely fily slips, they do come up small though so chose carefully if you buy, but at £25 you cant grumble!

Few ideas of halter styles.Excuse the model in rolled halter.
I made these two
Liz

Attachments

• mo snow 002.jpg
    mo snow 002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 12
  • friendly heifer.jpg
    friendly heifer.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 11
  • horses 003.jpg
    horses 003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 12
At her age she should be fine to be shown in a leather halter. Only colts and ridden ponies need to be bitted, unless of course you want the added control.

I'd be inclined to go for reasonably plain leather, perhaps raised, 5/8"?

Easiest way to work out a width on a small pony, is to get a few pairs of reins (of different widths) and have somebody take a photo of her with you holding one against/around her nose (gently of course!). If you have a raised browband you could do the same with that too, just to see whether plain or raised would suit her better.

Yes, it has been mentioned by someone else she will probably be fine in a filly slip. She hasn't been bitted yet so might be easier then getting her used to a bit as well. Control wise she's normally fine to lead but this will be her first show and probably the first time she's seen a horse up closer thats over 14.2hh. She can be 'forward going' (or is that called precense (sp?):p) though. We are practising leading at the moment to get it spot on. We're walking to the showground so that will give her a chance to calm down as well (3/4-1hr walk).
Thanks for the rein test idea.......it looks like raised and simple will look best :)

Also I walk her out in a headcollar at the moment but is it actually legal to walk her out on roads not bitted?
would just be useful to know for the future.

Ascot bridles do lovely fily slips, they do come up small though so chose carefully if you buy, but at £25 you cant grumble!

Thank you.......I had a quick look (they're more like £30 now though but still not terrible) but I'm not sure about the sizing as they came in pony and cob size, cob would be far too big but the pony could come up too small if its for a 'delicate' foal type head.

I take it we haven't got to turn an inhand bridle round in 48 hours for you then? ;) I didn't hear back so assumed you'd decided against it. :)

No worries! 2-3 weeks is normal 'turnaround' but we could have done 2 days if you were desperate. I guess I can tell Paul he can breathe again now! ;)

Sorry yesterday was a bit mental. I collected my unconscious cat from the vet at 8pm! :rolleyes:

I take it we haven't got to turn an inhand bridle round in 48 hours for you then? ;) I didn't hear back so assumed you'd decided against it. :)

No worries! 2-3 weeks is normal 'turnaround' but we could have done 2 days if you were desperate. I guess I can tell Paul he can breathe again now! ;)

Sorry yesterday was a bit mental. I collected my unconscious cat from the vet at 8pm! :rolleyes:

Yep...haven't forgotten...will PM you back in a min or two :) I think I'll just get a cheapish filly slip for this show which is a real little show anyway and if she does ok in this show I will probably have a filly slip/in hand bridle made:):) I thought it was best not to give Paul a hernia trying to get it done in time;) especially as I'm not really that sure what I want yet.:D

newrider.com