What is you favourite activity with your horse?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Ben and I have a very varied workload. We do everything from flatwork/dressage, jumping, showing, horse agility, TREC, riding out happily over our fields and occassionally making myself go for an off-site hack.

At the moment I am really getting into dressage thanks to my new teacher who is actually teaching me how to ride. I can't believe the change in Ben and how much fun it feels to actually have a proper communication with him. I can't believe that I am getting addicted to dressage!

So what is your favourite activity with your horse and why?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
We like pootling but mixing in walking over poles and obstacles - she's really spooky sometimes and it can be a challenge getting her to investigate. I like setting up the big water containers and anything else nearby. We are a bit limited now due to her recovery but we both used to like hopping over tiny jumps. When it's not windy here it's good setting stuff up and makes it a bit more interesting for both of us. Think her favourite thing is the carrot at the end..........

We like pootling but mixing in walking over poles and obstacles - she's really spooky sometimes and it can be a challenge getting her to investigate. I like setting up the big water containers and anything else nearby. We are a bit limited now due to her recovery but we both used to like hopping over tiny jumps. When it's not windy here it's good setting stuff up and makes it a bit more interesting for both of us. Think her favourite thing is the carrot at the end..........

Have you ever thought of doing in-hand horse agility? You can set up your own courses at home, video them and send them in for competitions. It's really good fun and so rewarding when a horse who is intially very spooky starts to gain trust in the obstacles.

I am pretty much the opposite of you MP! My favourite activity in all the world is being alone with my horse out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere we've never been before, just hacking and taking in the scenery, finding new obstacles to overcome and having the occasional woohoo moment if the opportunity arises - but it's fine if it doesn't too.

Raf would probably pick hunting - I think he likes the 'herd mentality'.

Walking with Neala Which will lead to hacking. Torin has had 2 walks out of tthe field we are still working on leading skills but eventually he will cone with Neala and I more often and hopefully lead off Neala when I start riding her.
The work horses are work but I am very lucky as I get to just hack hack and more hack! Love it.

Hacking. Although, I have pretty much weekly lessons at the moment - for me nothing beats just being out with Pete.

Plus, I don't feel I need to make an effort for hacking - so if I happen to be wearing PJ botoms or my onesie (and yes, I've hacked out in both!), I don't feel quite so much shame as I would riding in the school as there's far fewer people to see :D

Just sitting in the field with them nuzzling up :)

I haven't ridden for over 12 months but I love the feeling of wind in my hair when having a good gallop out hacking - cannot beat that feeling of freedom! I enjoyed trec and would love to try mounted games but madam is so quick with her sick note that we could never train reliably!

Anything at all really, I love just being around her, I love trying to school her, I love a little jump occasionally, I love hacking, you get the idea :D

Don't really have a favourite - I enjoy everything. Oh - sponsored rides, I should say they're mine and Roxy's joint favourite thing to do.

I really love playing with obstacles!!
I want to get to some Versatility this winter.
But I also love going out to trails in the newfound trustees of properties areas that are around here.
Its also so nice having both Sonny and Andi out on those trails!!

newrider.com