What is the difference? Riding style question

Margie and Magic

Jan 14, 2020
I've settled on either western pleasure or western dressage but after a few hours of googling and watching youtube videos I'm still having a hard time figuring out the explicit differences so I can pick which one would come more natural to my mare Whisky.

Is anyone familiar with these styles?

Sorry, I know almost nothing about Western. What discipline was she trained for before you bought her? Unless you have specific plans for her I'd be inclined to stick with what she knows.

Reactions: Margie and Magic
Where are you based? Are you planning to compete?
I’m in the UK so the competitive western world is a whole different ball game to the states, but personally I hate to see unengaged peanut rollers that were so commonplace in western pleasure a few years ago, but that could be a lot to do with my early years of riding being in English style and it has drastically improved over the last few years watching congress etc. I don’t dislike all western pleasure, I did enough of it myself ;) but I think there’s a lot to be said for the new western dressage movement, also for the ranch pleasure we’re seeing. Unless you are competing heavily and at a pretty high level I probably wouldn’t limit yourself by selecting a single discipline, train for an all around horse that can turn it’s hoof to anything :) it is worth baring in mind that a very strongly pleasure bred horse may not have the best conformation to switch to other disciplines.

Sorry, I know almost nothing about Western. What discipline was she trained for before you bought her? Unless you have specific plans for her I'd be inclined to stick with what she knows.
I don't know too much about her training history. I know a lot of training went into her but I don't think a specific style was ever focused on. She was primarily used as a brood mare.

Where are you based? Are you planning to compete?
I’m in the UK so the competitive western world is a whole different ball game to the states. . .Unless you are competing heavily and at a pretty high level I probably wouldn’t limit yourself by selecting a single discipline, train for an all around horse that can turn it’s hoof to anything. . .
I'm based on the west coast of the states. I was originally very opposed to competing but my trainer has been bringing me around. And no, I do not have a trainer that receives any profit or notoriety if I compete and win. When my trainer says I should compete with my horses because they have a lot of training and that I am wasting that training and that they have great minds I know she is being sincere.

I need training myself, I was never a fancy rider in my younger years so my mares are much more experienced than I am. I live in a very strong horse community, unfortunately I am not interested in most of the disciplines that are popular (cutting and reining). But there are some new clubs that hold weekend amateur competitions when gatherings are allowed again. I was hoping to start competing in those settings and then move on to more formal competitions depending how my mares handle the crowds and if they/I enjoy competing.

I doubt I'll ever compete heavily or at a high level, my mares are all older and I honestly have no interest in ever owning a horse younger than 20. Due to their age I've decided to focus on a single discipline for each mare. It was just Whisky that I was having a hard time figuring out what to choose. I was hoping to find some simple explanation on confirmation so I could just look at her body and easily decide western pleasure or western dressage. ?

I'm too am not a big fan of western disciplines but Whisky has the "look" and temperament that would give her a leg up in any western competition in my area.

Reactions: Jessey
If your trainer says Whisky has had a lot of training then surely by her way of going she can tell what disciplines it's been in? As I said before I have no knowledge of Western riding, but if a horse had a lot of training in a particular English discipline it would soon show to an experienced rider. If she's in her 20s I wouldn't want to start retraining her, I'd rather stick to what she knows and her body is familiar with, and if she hasn't had a lot of training specific to a discipline I'd stay so low level it didn't matter or have fun hacking her around.

If she's in her 20s I wouldn't want to start retraining her, I'd rather stick to what she knows and her body is familiar with, and if she hasn't had a lot of training specific to a discipline I'd stay so low level it didn't matter or have fun hacking her around.

Whisky is well trained but not in any specific discipline as far as my trainer has been able to tell. And it is just like you are saying, in pasture Whisky doesn't display any specific style of training. Whereas one of my other mares you can immediately tell has English training.

Whisky has a very good mind so I would rather add to her past training than try to retrain her. Which is why I settled on a western discipline.

I purchased Whisky specifically as a companion for Magic and a safe horse for my husband to ride with me. I don't really have any interest in hacking her for myself. I'm beginning to understand why her previous owners sold her "because they had more interesting horses to ride." ?

But I love learning new things and if I were to ever start learning a western discipline Whisky is a great horse to start that adventure with!

Maybe go to a couple of clinics and see what you both enjoy more :)
I love this idea. I cannot wait until events open up again so I can attend some clinics! However I will probably have to travel out of state. I live in a horse heavy area but none of the clinics held last year were anything I am interested in: cutting, reining, and really out-of-date random themed classes. For example there is one clinic that hasn't been cancelled yet that boasts "you will learn the same techniques as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and by the end of the class you can walk your horse through a hoop of fire." o_O ?

If that is something that interests you, I mean no disrespect. I've definitely become more skeptical/cynical with age but I feel that the class is boasting more than it can actually offer and there are no references to verify any of the safety/statements/experience laid out in the ad.

• Haha
Whisky had a chiro appointment for her hindquarters last week. First time with this chiro/any chiro. He was able to settle the western dressage vs. western pleasure. Basically she doesn't have the right confirmation for western pleasure. Whisky has a long back and gaskin which would make her better suited for western dressage. :)

newrider.com