What is the best bit about....

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
....having/riding/sharing horses....

I know this is going to be a different for everybody but was thinking about it today, to me there are so many fab things about having horses. The best part of my evening is the bit where I can just spend a little bit of time with each of my girls and give them a little groom or a cuddle.

Both of mine love a scratch so I usually try to give them a bit of a fuss as I'm changing rugs etc and in many ways I love this more than the riding bit. Always makes me smile at the end of each day no matter how rubbish it's been.

I also love washing and pruning them so they look all smart.....going to get my backside in gear and sort them out this weekend!!!!

Tonight was my perfect horsey evening. I spend so much time rushing around, knowing I've got somewhere else to be, its still so refreshing for me to get to the field after work and know that I don't have anywhere else to be so can take my time. I get a kiss from Flip, feed them both and then cuddle and just sometimes lean back against my horse's side and stare up at the stars in the peace and quiet.
Now its getting lighter tonight I did a wee bit of clicker training and then groomed him while he munched his hay. Other evenings I'll just sit and read my book with him. I enjoy riding, I enjoy all the 'work' we do, but my favourite has to be just hanging out with my horse, watching what he does, being with him.

Reading that back I'm about the same as you bnp - only thing I'd say is I hate the idea of show prep - fancy coming to sort my boy out for 5th June?!!

It depends which horse for me. If its Faye id happily sit up on her high back all day, just in the field grazing or having a short bareback ride.
For Eva it was trotting bareback but now she doesnt do anyhwere out of canter i prefer to stay safely on the ground grooming her to shw perfection.
For Sweep i like just genrally annoying her, grooming her and giving her lots of fuss.
For lunan its got to be cuddles! His neck is just the right size for my arms to hug. :inlove:
For Shakira its teaching her new things like trottign in hand, backing up, tricks etc.
For Storm its watching from a far. :biggrin: Hes rather beautiful. Or grooming while he has a graze. I like that too!

Reading that back I'm about the same as you bnp - only thing I'd say is I hate the idea of show prep - fancy coming to sort my boy out for 5th June?!!
ILL DO IT FOR YOU!!!! IT MUST BE EXELLENT TO GROOM THAT MANE! :bounce:

For me it's about just being with them. Although I enjoy riding (if ever I get the chance to do so again!) I love horses because I love who they are rather than what they can do.

Absolutely the very best bit of all for me is when I am grooming Ziggy's chest where he is itchy and he grooms me back. He is so, so gentle.

I also really love to watch them play, and when they want to play with me - cantering up to me at full pelt and then putting the brakes on :cold::bounce:

When I'm greeted like THIS, just on arrival....

.... how can I fail to be moved??? :happy:

^^EXACTLY THAT!!!^^

Not that I have it yet - but that's exactly what I want from a horse! I would love to arrive at the field and have hoss say "Ooh hello, it's you!! Yay!!"

Great thread!
Best bit for me, is no matter how stressful the day has been, no matter how poorly Mr T has been and how worried I am about him, no matter what the horrid neighbour has done to us, just standing last thing at night before lights out, next to Storm, watching her munch her net contentedly. Sometimes I just stand with my head on her side and she doesn't seem to mind - I like to carry her smell for as long as I can....hehehehe, and quite honestly, nothing else matters.

As an RS rider, for me the best bit is finding that 'connection' with a horse...you ride so many, and I don't get it with all of them, but it's so amazing when you finally 'get it' and understand a horse, when you start to figure out the way they work and how to get the best out of them.

My favourite is a lovable lump of a horse, relatively unschooled (I have only ever ridden him in the school), gets so confused, but always tries to figure out what you are trying to tell him to do, has a dodgy hind leg and dodgy teeth...but I love him...I can't even describe why, it just feels 'right' when I am on him. I asked if he was for sale last night :unsure: he's not, but I cant afford him anyway.

Since I ride at an RS, I don't get so much time to just be with the horses...hopefully that will come if I ever get a loan.

I dont have a single best bit, I love it when Mav whinnies as I come onto the yard, and I love it when a horse who's spooky or young starts to look to you for reassurance instead of straight running off.

When i'm riding, the best bit is when a horse learns something new and is all enthusiastic about it. Like you teach canter to a baby and they like it, so for about 15 mins after in response to everything you ask, they go 'canter?'

lots of little things, the look I get when he sees me coming down the passageway, the silly way he behaves when I hold out some hay for him, the way he likes to twang my jods every chance he gets, the way he leans his head against me when we're having a quiet moment, how I have to show him everything new that I take into the stable so he can sniff, and lick at it until it meets his approval!

:inlove::inlove:

It's great to hear so many people that just love to spend time with their horses!

They are such fab animals to be around :)

My job is super stressful at the moment and so many people say "I don't know how you do it all especially having horses as well" ...the truth is that I couldn't do it without the horses - they really keep me sane.

I can't wait to have them at home!!!!!

I love my Sunday afternoons with my share horse, Bailey!! I love leaving my family at home for a few hours and spending time grooming him. I enjoy riding him, but it's the grooming/general fussing that I enjoy the most. I've only been sharing him for 4 weeks, I'm looking forward to our bond growing stronger :wub:

I had a lovely ride this morning (see Ziggy's thread, "Top of the Morning to you") but I liked it best this afternoon when I was over in the evening sunlight making up herb mixes and just hanging with the boys.

I offered to groom Ziggy's itchy moulty face and chest with the rubber brush and he stood and zoned out. He looks really funny because his face, throat and chest are beautifully clean and the rest of him is absolutely filthy!

I sat in the sun this afternoon cleaning and oiling my new bridle, and that was lovely too.

I'll tell you a secret *whispers* My OH is in Basel this evening on his way back from holiday, and he asked me if I could join him. Well I could have, I could even have got air miles flights. But I saw it was going to be fine and told him I couldn't get anyone to look after the dogs :yellowcarded: because I would rather have been at home in the sun with my horses. And it's gorgeous!

newrider.com