What is fly bucking?

Em 1

Aug 18, 2001
Question is in the title really - can anyone explain to me what fly bucking looks like? How is it different from 'ordinary' bucking? If anyone has any video/pictures of a horse doing this I'd be really interested to see them.

Many thanks:)

I don't know but it sounds like it's the kind of thing our horse does when she canters, she is still cantering but bucks as she's going along, kind of like canter, canter, canter, leap, canter like that

I don't know the official description but I use the term to describe when my boy leaps off his back legs and then bucks and plunges. It could also refer to me shortly afterwards flying through the air :p:D

Its bucking with all four feet off the ground ( normally at speed! )

My horse did this the other day out on a hack! started off in a nice canter, then had to jump a little ditch, which got him excited once jumped he leaped in the air ( which felt like 3ft lol ) and fly bucked 3 times! I had no chance! I tell you my horse has got some power in his back end tee hee!

So a horse that plunges forwards, semi-rears and then bucks for England isn't technically fly bucking then? This is what a horse did to a friend the other day and I just wondered if this was fly bucking. Does anyone know what this could be called (other than 'dangerous':rolleyes::D)?

So a horse that plunges forwards, semi-rears and then bucks for England isn't technically fly bucking then? This is what a horse did to a friend the other day and I just wondered if this was fly bucking. Does anyone know what this could be called (other than 'dangerous':rolleyes::D)?

No that's not fly bucking & I won't type out what I do call it :eek:. If anyone has a foolproof way of sitting this behaviour I'd be very interested though, to date the most useful advice was from an old horseman who simply said "keep the ****** off grass!" (I'm lucky, grass is the only place he performs this trick).

One rein stop (search for it on youtube) is good for getting a bucking horse to pack it in. But the sit down and then bronc tactic often doesn't really give you time to do anything other than swear and somersalt over the horse's head :D

Fly bucking is the launch and buck while up there 'whee!' bucks they do sometimes in canter, lot more sittable than the proper 'get the **** off my back' bucks!

Joy did a fly buck once when we had a blast across the middle of 2 open fileds and hadn't done this for a while.

It was a kind of mini buck when she already was in the air. It was very small with no ill intentions and just done in excitment like when she's looning in the field. Mild enough that it didn't have any affect on me riding her except to make me laugh and I'm a wuss at heart. :D

So a horse that plunges forwards, semi-rears and then bucks for England isn't technically fly bucking then? This is what a horse did to a friend the other day and I just wondered if this was fly bucking. Does anyone know what this could be called (other than 'dangerous')?

at my yard thats called a "Cassie moment" LOL
i just call it her best rodeo impression, im yet to sit to it.

One rein stop wouldn't stand an earthly on this so & so! The first warning was hind leg coming too far under to let him "sit" more but by the time you felt that he was already in the air :mad:. After that I was always fully occupied hanging on (my record was five but number six got me off) & there's no let up in the launch-buck-land hinds-launch pattern to try anything. Besides he's a very full up 16.2 ID & if he decides his neck isn't bending then it isn't bending! And I seriously wouldn't trust him not to take the pair of us down rather than stop. I never did work out what caused it - it's only ever on grass, he'd do it in any pace & sometmes he'd seem totally calm right up until the point he started.

I gave up & don't ride him on grass anymore. It's safer for both of us this way & I can't say I miss running home looking for my horse :p

Fly bucking to me is when they're going at a bit of speed, they kind of gambol forwards and then bring their back legs out - Don't plant themselves like they would in a broncing fit.

It kinda feels like they're going up, along and then up again. I quite enjoy them when they're WHOOPPPEE! moments :eek:

Thank you all so much for your replies. My friend has been feeling terrible that she couldn't sit such a buck but I've just shown her your replies and she feels much better about herself knowing that they are near impossible to sit. I've never seen a 14.3hh horse throw a competent adult rider so high in the air before!

Thank you all so much for your replies. My friend has been feeling terrible that she couldn't sit such a buck but I've just shown her your replies and she feels much better about herself knowing that they are near impossible to sit. I've never seen a 14.3hh horse throw a competent adult rider so high in the air before!

That doesn't sound like fly bucking to me (or at least, I wouldn't call it fly bucking), fly bucks are in my experience easy enough to sit too because the horse gets no height with his back legs and/or is still travelling forward at a speed so you don't really get unseated. I think it sounds like your friend got bronced, which yes - Is nigh on impossible to sit out!

When my boy does that I call it 'broncing'. But then I've also heard people describe the sort of "rocking horse" mini bucking action as broncing so I think everyone has their own terms for things!

oh, I thought fly bucking was when your horse did a little rear- to get fronts off the ground... and then bucked with the hinds just after, so, all four feet off the ground at the same time with a kind of rocking horse movement. Mine does this easily, and can even put in a nice 180 degree turn at the same time!

In terms of sitting to it, if it is as described in my earlier post my daughter's RI advised her to bridge her reins and raise slightly out of the saddle so that all havoc is going on beneath her and she is riding above it so to speak, it seemed to work and gave my daughter more confidence to sit to the canter buck buck canter canter buck thing . But as a caveat, I am not a rider, this is just what I heard her say to my daughter.

I understand fly bucking to be what my horse does lately when hes been on box rest and is supposed to be going for quiet walks :rolleyes: He launches all four feet off the floor, bounces straight up and then bucks in mid air, much like one of the Spanish riding school horses moves, levade i think?

newrider.com