What is a Good Doer?

a good doer is a horse that looks 'well' i.e up to weight on little amounts of food.this can sometimes be a problem as you have to moniter your horses weight regularly.
hope ive helped

I would say a 'good doer' is a horse/pony that can live out most of the year without getting cold/losing weight, doesn't need much hard feed. Generally healthy and therefore cheap to look after.

One of my horses is a 'good doer' and the other isn't.

I can describe the good doer as being easy to keep looking well and tends to thrive on nothing but grass and hay, while the other needs different feeds and is fed concentrates all year round to keep him looking good.

I suppose we are the same - I can just look at chocolate and put on weight while others could eat it all day and it would make no difference!!!

All the best

Tracy
http://www.easyhorsecare.com

I think of it as easy to keep weight on, no problems with feed. Generally hardy. However thats only in the horse world

In the human world this is a husband or significant other who will run around and get your hay and straw for you. Tell you that you are beautiful when smelling of horses, havent brushed you hair for a week (but your mares mane is shining!) and help you take your boots off. ;)

TWH you are too funny! I'll tell everyone the truth though ... I thought a "good doer" meant that your horse had a good "elimination" system (pooped on schedule and no risk of colic)!!! :p
Thank goodness no one here can identify me and you are all too kind to laugh at me :D hee, hee, hee!

My definatition of a good doer or easy keeper is a horse who requires little maintenance. Can be fat and shiny off just hay and requires very little in regards to supplements and hard feed. Can live outside. Also has good feet and is not prone to lameness, injury, or body soreness. My friends horse is a good doer, he only gets hay and he shows all year round in showjumping 1.20m! He never loses weight and never goes lame, he is an easy keeper.

Definition of a good doer - fatty porker who gives their owner a constant headache as they try to figure out ways to keep them looking reasonably slim :)

newrider.com