What I learned today....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Flatwork lesson today and in preparation for the ridden showing class I have promised my RI we will attempt before the end of the season and/or an attempt at basic dressage (preferably "inter") that she also wants us to try, we started at the beginning..... a nice square halt.

And Albi refused to cooperate! :rolleyes:

And I couldnt "feel" how he was standing at all :oops:

Now I know Albs CAN stand square as I have plenty of pics what he has chosen to, in-hand AND ridden. I've just never asked and today, instead of trying to reply to my question with a try, like he would usually do, he was deliberately obtuse, kind of like with his hooves in his ears in a "la la la not listening" way. He was like that in the whole lesson today, unfortunately. Even when RI physically picked up a hind and positioned it correctly he would just take a step forward instead.

In desperation I asked RI to hop on to determine whether it was him or me today and she found him difficult and strong. He wasn't rude, just in a "make me" mood. I'm actually quite glad it was him :p

Sooooo..... need to practise halt on the ground first, then transfer to riding *sigh*

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Tehee, glad your RI hopped on to see what he was like, I like and RI that will, it does make things so much easier when they aren't being cooperative :D

newrider.com