What height should he reach ? (2yr old cob)

Jxmxg

Sep 25, 2020
New User
I am going to look at this cob to possibly buy. He will be 3yrs old in April. He is 12.2hh right now. Dam is 13.2hh & Sire is 14hh. What height do you think he should reach? I am only 5 foot 1

Attachments

• IMG-20200923-WA0018~2.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0018~2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20200923-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0019.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20200923-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0023.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20200923-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0020.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20200923-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200923-WA0010.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 16
Hello and welcome!

Dan and mum both look nice solid chunky types. It's really not possible to say how big baba will get, but I'm sure he'll be up to carrying an adult if he takes after his parents!

Reactions: Huggy
If he's 12.2 now I'd be surprised if he gets any bigger than mum, but it really is no more than a guess - if you want a set size then the best advice I can give is buy a mature horse. I've had two from 2yos and it really is a lottery. One was meant to make 15.3 if I was lucky, his full sister was maybe 15.2 and the stallion was known for hardly ever throwing stock that got bigger than 16hh - he made a good 16.3, and to be honest if he'd stopped at 15.1 he'd have been quite big enough for me! At 2 I'd have said he was maybe 15hh, and so in proportion he didn't look like he had a huge amount more to make height wise. The other was probably around the 13.2 mark when I got him and was meant to make 14.3 maybe 15hh, but he stopped at about 14.1 and, for his breed, has stayed relatively fine too - him I could have done with making the extra height.

If you're 5'1" then I would say if he stops at 13.2 but takes after his parents in build then he'll be quite big enough for you. Keep us posted will you? Horse children are much more interesting than human ones!

Welcome! Agree with carthorse - if you're only 5'1", I would think with his build he'd be fine with you on board. I'm 5'2" (Thank you for making me feel tall!) and my boy is 13hh - I don't feel underhorsed at all.

We bought him! Just getting him gelded and heal before we bring him to his new yard. :) Think we are going to name him Monty. Not sure yet tho! Other names we thought of are Ricco & Tonto. He's a bit stuffy right now but once I get him I'll clean him up :)

We bought him! Just getting him gelded and heal before we bring him to his new yard. :) Think we are going to name him Monty. Not sure yet tho! Other names we thought of are Ricco & Tonto. He's a bit stuffy right now but once I get him I'll clean him up :)
? ? ? ? ? - pics when you get him please!

New pictures - *Click on the pictures to view them so they are not blurry*
We got him on Sunday. I wanted to bath him but it's been to cold so I've just brushed and cleaned him up as best I could. Took so long to get all the knots out his mane and tail! I'm gonna wash his legs and tail tomorrow. He is measuring around 12.2-12.3hh. Really hoping he grows at least another hand. He will be three in May. He has a quiet and friendly temperament. We love him. His name is Tonto.

Attachments

• AirBrush_20201014151838.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014151838.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 9
  • AirBrush_20201014152024.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014152024.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 9
  • AirBrush_20201014151753.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014151753.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • AirBrush_20201014151729.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014151729.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 7
  • AirBrush_20201014151707.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014151707.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AirBrush_20201014152421.jpg
    AirBrush_20201014152421.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0598.JPG
    DSC_0598.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Trewsers
He looks adorable, and so calm for a younger who's just moved home. I hope he makes the height you want, but even if he doesn't he's going to be so chunky that he won't have a problem with you and you'll look fine on him.

I'd be reluctant to bath him unless you're rugging him, let him use the oils and grease in his coat as waterproofing. When I was growing up we were told off if we body brushed a pony that lived out, I think we'd have been in serious trouble bathing except if they got sweaty in the summer when hosing off was allowed!

Definately will be a solid sort. Already got all that feathers and bone.
You never know he could make 13.2hh. He's certainly going to spread wider if you think they are now, think again. ;)

Love him! He looks a sweetheart. I'd be surprised if he didn't make 13 - 13.2. I'm a sucker for a cob!

I measured him with a tape measure today from the ground to withers and he is only measuring 49", so smaller than I was told he was. Oh well. Iike most of you said he should end up big enough for me. I hosed his legs down today and walked him around with a bit and bridle on and he was a good boy. He is a sweet heart. The only things I don't like is he gets greedy and pushy around food, he was nipping and turning his hind end at me today! So I need to work on his food manners. He managed to let me stroke him while he was eating his grain.. That was after I got him to behave. Otherwise he's a sweet heart. Lol

If he's been kept in a herd, he may well have had to defend his food against other horses. I'm sure he'll learn quickly that you aren't a threat to him.

My dear pony Ziggy (he died last year) was the best natured little chap you could hope to meet, but whenever he walked towards me when I had his hay or a feed bucket he always put his ears back. He just couldn't help himself.

Reactions: Jxmxg and Huggy
Hogan is a real foodie. I bring him in, tie him up, and make him wait until he stops pawing, and head tossing. I then let him loose, and get his bucket - he has to back up until I put it down. As above, I'd agree, they soon learn.

Reactions: Jxmxg
I would actually leave him alone when he's eating. We don't need to be doing anything with them.
Mine doesn't get fed beyond a banana, she comes over and it's already been thrown on the floor. Then she interacts. Personally if I sit down to eat my dinner I don't want people trying to mess around with it, just give me the plate!
Just think, it could be how we behave that's upsetting the status quo. You may not have a behaviour that needs sorting, just alter yours.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
He looks adorable, and so calm for a younger who's just moved home. I hope he makes the height you want, but even if he doesn't he's going to be so chunky that he won't have a problem with you and you'll look fine on him.

I'd be reluctant to bath him unless you're rugging him, let him use the oils and grease in his coat as waterproofing. When I was growing up we were told off if we body brushed a pony that lived out, I think we'd have been in serious trouble bathing except if they got sweaty in the summer when hosing off was allowed!
It's weird as someone told me mine needed a brush, but you wouldn't take a turnout rug off and brush it everyday. You will damage it.
Her being grubby tells me she's rolled, once a week I do a flick over becayse I want to do a run hands over, preferably without you sticking an in season leg out. ;)

I would actually leave him alone when he's eating. We don't need to be doing anything with them.
Mine doesn't get fed beyond a banana, she comes over and it's already been thrown on the floor. Then she interacts. Personally if I sit down to eat my dinner I don't want people trying to mess around with it, just give me the plate!
Just think, it could be how we behave that's upsetting the status quo. You may not have a behaviour that needs sorting, just alter yours.

Yes I agree, however he was pinning his ears and turning his hind end towards me just after I put his bucket down and I was even on the other side of the fence, so he needs to learn to respect me and have manners if i am near him or not. I do leave him alone to eat in peice as that's his time but I won't accept behaviour like that.

newrider.com