What height should he reach ? (2yr old cob)

Free Adverts from New Rider

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Yes I agree, however he was pinning his ears and turning his hind end towards me just after I put his bucket down and I was even on the other side of the fence, so he needs to learn to respect me and have manners if i am near him or not. I do leave him alone to eat in peice as that's his time but I won't accept behaviour like that.

I had a big youngster who came to me very defensive about feed - breeder's instruction was to push his feed through the door or under the fence and back away fast. Errr, no! There were going to be times I needed to do things when he was eating, plus he had no business guarding anything that strongly from me and I'd rather get that straight with a 15hh ish 2yo than a 16.3 8yo. My answer with him was any feed in a bucket was held by me and the slightest threat meant yes I left but so did the bowl with the feed in it - he cottoned on very quickly lol and there was no shouting or smacking to turn it into a battle. Now obviously if you decide to try something like that make sure there's a solid barrier between you and him otherwise it's going to go very wrong, but I found it safer and more effective than telling him off and in very little time I had a horse who could be safely handled when food was around and indeed would hand me the bucket as it was easier to lick the sides clean if I held and tilted it.

Reactions: Huggy and Jxmxg

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Absolutely agree. It
I had a big youngster who came to me very defensive about feed - breeder's instruction was to push his feed through the door or under the fence and back away fast. Errr, no! There were going to be times I needed to do things when he was eating, plus he had no business guarding anything that strongly from me and I'd rather get that straight with a 15hh ish 2yo than a 16.3 8yo. My answer with him was any feed in a bucket was held by me and the slightest threat meant yes I left but so did the bowl with the feed in it - he cottoned on very quickly lol and there was no shouting or smacking to turn it into a battle. Now obviously if you decide to try something like that make sure there's a solid barrier between you and him otherwise it's going to go very wrong, but I found it safer and more effective than telling him off and in very little time I had a horse who could be safely handled when food was around and indeed would hand me the bucket as it was easier to lick the sides clean if I held and tilted it.

Absolutely agree. It was one of the first things I addressed with Hogan. It took 2 weeks. Family laughed at me going in repeating " Back, back back" . Now I approach with the bucket and he backs up without a word needed. I can do stuff in the stable as he eats, a bonus if you consider the size of Hogans bottom!

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
Billy will swing his back end round towards me when i put the food bowl down. It is definitely a sign of disrespect. Its getting less but not fixed. I have made him back up and wait for his food more recently and he is swinging round less. He always gets fed 2nd after chunky. But his other behaviour as soon as i put the bowl on the floor was to take the biggest mouthful he could get in his gob then stamp his foot in the feed bowl and upset it all over the floor. The foot in the bowl is done with great malice. If i was still putting it down on several occasions he almost struck me. Thats when i started putting down and asking him to back away and wait for me to invite him in. I really never understood it as it then took him longer to eat it all off the floor than if it was in the bowl. Pretty sure he was being disrespectful though. Although he still does sometimes put his foot in it after hes invited to the bowl, its got alot less. If the boys are fed in the yard i now put there feed bowls on top of some beer barrels so billy can no longer stamp in his bowl. This has also led to being more respectful of the bowl when fed in the field.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com