What has happened to her teeth???! What should I do?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Ok, I noticed Piccolo's teeth looked a but funny yesterday, had a proper look today and her front left tooth has a big mark half way up it and also half way up the gum, like the tooth has partly displaced? I also noticed her other teeth look wonky and her right side tooth is smaller then it should be, and doesn't meet the bottom one anymore, like there's a bit missing.

I know her and Harvey were playing the other day in the rain and he was bucking and kicking out with other hind legs. Is it possible he may have kicked her?

What can be done about them?, her mouth is a bit sore but what worries me is they are now not in line and the front tooth is a worry. They are all her adult teeth now as well. She can eat fine.

I was also going to call the vet this week to take out her wolf teeth, do you think he will still be able to do this, with her other teeth a bit of a mess?

Yes, either a horse dentist, or your vet who's coming anyway, if he's good at teeth. He'll be able to tell you if he can take the wolf teeth out, but in any case it sounds as if her teeth need attention.

How old is he? When Maya was two I noticed soreness and what looked like half a tooth. I panicked and called the dentist.

She came out and I went to open up Maya's lips to show her the half tooth and she started laughing at me (the dentist not Maya) and said that it was a new tooth growing through and must have just been pushed out and a bit sore when I saw it.

Doh

I was going to say that if Piccolo is a "baby" then it's likely that it's the milk/adult tooth thingy ;)
Zsaïm lost his around the age of 3 (I think), I found a few in his feed manger

I feel the same as shockblue. My lots teeth were all over the place when they were teething. Still best to get them checked out though. I think she would have been in agony and struggling to eat if she had been kicked in the mouth. Hope she's ok.

Could it be caps (I think thst's what they are called??),where the top of the tooth appears to come off,but is meant to and the new tooth will be underneath where the cap was.

Probably best to ask the vet when he comes anyway to put your mind at rest,but sounds like might be a regular baby teeth process to me:)

I did wonder if it was caps, some of the 'problem' is above the gum line though.

Only reason I thought it might not be is because last time EDT was over was 4 months ago and he said she had all her adult teeth through, also her corner teeth were in wear so he estimated her to be 3yrs then, 4 months ago.

Will get vet to have a look when he takes her wolf teeth out. Hope to get a appointment for next week or so. EDT also said when he came over that she has some sharp, biggish wolf teeth which will interfere with the bit a bit so suggested although bitted to not bridle her until they were taken out which made sense as she was being a bit funny with the bridle in-hand.

I'll have another look tomorrow, I did try and get photo's but it didn't really work as I needed a third hand lol

Last edited:
Ok, update:

Had vet come to take out Piccolo's wolf teeth today, he was also out to see Harvey..he forgot to bring his wolf teeth kit though so is coming back out to take them out but had a look today anyway.

I also asked him about the rest of her teeth and I'm pretty sure that front dodgy tooth I saw WAS a cap. Well vet also agreed that it was likely to have been a cap AND said Piccolo's other teeth are ALL baby teeth.

My EDT 4 months ago said they were all adult teeth and that she was about 3yrs old.

Now because they are all baby teeth apart from the cap she's just lost her front tooth, vet is estimating her age to be 2.5yrs. :eek:

So looks like Piccolo has the rest of the summer off and I now feel really bad for having had her sat on a few times. At least now I know though, so she can be left until she is at least three now.

Am a little cross the other EDT didn't correctly age her though. On checking Harveys teeth he also had a abnormalaity to one of his teeth which needs a dremel to correct it. Vet is doing this now too, but again this wasn't picked up 4 months ago when EDT came and did a rasp.

newrider.com