What happens when you make a BIG mistake?

Be honest, own up and say sorry! And then learn from it, don't do it again and move on. Everyone makes mistakes and life is too short to dwell on them. Get it sorted asap.

like Mary Poppins says, sort it out asap. You'll only worry about it if you ignore it and the situation will probably end up worse.

Once you have apologised and sorted it out you can move on.;)

OMG I made a massive mistake in work in jan a real career foal or it could of been if I had not walked straight in to my bosses office and told him what I had done!! he was great and helped me sort it out without bring my line manager in on the whole mess.

I did not sleep for about 2 weeks while it was being sorted and I took leave to aviod my line manager.

I have said all the sorry's I can. It's costing me £650 to sort out (and I am 17, t college earning £180 a month from my weekend job!) So have had to ask for more shifts at work to pay for it, I also have results day tomorrow at college, next week is mock exam week, haven't a clue on anything in my lessons as have had 2 bouts of tonsilitis and throat infections, so that's on my mind too.. let alone my mum and family being disappointed in me. :(

I have said all the sorry's I can. It's costing me £650 to sort out (and I am 17, t college earning £180 a month from my weekend job!) So have had to ask for more shifts at work to pay for it, I also have results day tomorrow at college, next week is mock exam week, haven't a clue on anything in my lessons as have had 2 bouts of tonsilitis and throat infections, so that's on my mind too.. let alone my mum and family being disappointed in me. :(

Oh bles you, you sound like you are trying to fix it, like the others have said put your hands up and say sorry I balls'd up, dont put your head in the sand, I think as long as people can see you are trying to make the effort to correct things then they will be ok.

Hope it all turns out ok for you xx

Well it sounds as if you are doing what you can to sort it out.

TBH you can't do more than that. If people are disappointed in you then you just have to show them you have learnt your lesson and make sure you don't disappoint them again.

They're your family - they will forgive you in time.

We've all done and said stupid things when we were 17 - that's what growing up is all about.

You're doing the right things. Try to concentrate on your exams and put this behind you. If you've been ill though can't you speak to your college for special consideration or something?

Cheer up - it will get better.;)

Ok - first - your Mum and family love you. You might think they are dissapointed in you but you are probably imagining that this is much worse than it is and they will get over it.

Second - you have to forgive yourself. You have made a mistake - that is all. You haven't done anything intentionally and you regret (and are making amends for) it. Stop beating yourself up about whatever you have done and start looking forward.

Third - take an hour to sort out how you are going to pay for it. Can you come to an arrangement where you pay for it a bit at a time (or borrow money from somewhere to pay it and then pay it back a bit at a time). Once you sort this out you will feel much better.

Fourth - take a very deep breath and put it out of your mind so you can concentrate on your exams.

Good luck! I know how hard this is. The feeling that you have let everyone down can be crushing at times but often you find that people end up with more respect for you because of the way that you handle your problems and keep your chin up.

*hugs* for being honest with everyone. I know it's a tough time for you right now, and I don't think I can add to what everyone here has said so far. Another deep breath, acknowledge what's been done, and tackle it head on. Best wishes :)

Thanks everyone.

I am trying my best to fix everything and tbh i have never made any big mistakes in my life.. yeah i've done wrong but nothing major.. and this one time i do.. it's like nothing i do, can make up for it. I know it was a stupid idea, i regret it, i've said sorry and know i can't justify myself or what i've done - but i have said i've learnt from it, am working as much as i can to pay it off, have stopped ALL plans for my 18th birthday voluntarily to make up for it, even though i've been on about it for the past year constantly.. i have said to my mum i'd rather do nothing, get nothing for my 18th than do something and carry on being hated and told i'm not making an effort.

Plus it's my beautiful horses 1 year annivesary on the 22nd :( and having her around helped everything, and she's not even here..

Mistakes no matter how big aren’t the end of the world. You have done the most important thing and stood up and admitted your mistake and trying to rectify it. I have respect for anyone that does that as will the people that are involved I am sure will have also. They might not being showing it at present but over time these things will fade out and not be as dramatic as when they initially happen.

Stick with it and chin up, you have done the right thing

Shame, It's an awful place to be but take if from someone who has made many HUGE mistakes in her life it will come right with time, effort and patience. I think that your parents might be in a state of shock especially if you haven't done anything really bad before, it will be hard for them to understand where your behaviour has come from. I have shed many tears over being an idiot, but do you know what, it's all about growing up and living life and learing about the problems and challenges adulthood brings. Hope you feel better soon and don't let it get to you too much, it will pass in time x

It is how you learn ....... You have realised this and taken steps to correct it, that is good in itself.

Keep a low profile with your parents and answer any of their questions, they will be fine with a bit of water under the bridge. Learn from it and let it go ... **hugs**

If you are coming across to your family as repentent as you are on here then I think you'll be ok.

If there was a monetary consequence then you are doing the right thing to pay it off but don't forget that you can also make yourself useful in other ways too ;)

You sound lovely btw and I hope my daughter grows up to have a conscience like yours. Life isn't about being perfect. It's a learning process and you sound like you've learnt from your mistake :cool:

Thankyou for all of your replies :)

Well.. i'm trying to be useful in other ways too.. making sure the house is sort of tidy for when my mum gets home from work, going to a college open evening to see if there is anything else i can do in regards to next September (seeing as though i won't be going uni yet) as i know my mums panicking a bit now about my future plans as i have to decide very soon.. so thought being productive and going to one is a good idea!

I don't have great GCSE's but they're okay, i have: A, B, B, B, B, C, C, C, C, D, D. I sort of gave up in year 11 with exams, as i did with my AS levels last year.. and is happening again this year.. but it's because i don't have an aim of career or anything at all.. i don't know what i'm good at or anything like that so am a bit all over the place. But thinking about it, staying in education sounds like the best option really and doing so will make my mum pleased i'm doing something.

But other than all of that, i've just got to go through everything for the time being - they are just worried i'm on that "slippery road" and turning into my dad :( which i definately, won't do!

Gosh it sounds like you've got the whole world sitting on your shoulders at the mo - poor you! life is tough enough and tbh it sounds like you are being really hard on yourself too. Mistakes happen as unfortunately we are not perfect it just depends on what you do to fix it which sounds to me like you're doing all you physically can. Just remember that you need to please yourself aswell as those around you, I know your family want the best for you and I'm sure they are trying to steer you in the right direction but if you keep going like this you're going to run out of steam!

I really feel for you - at 17 we all make mistakes, some huge and some not so huge. At your age it is so sad to hear how low you feel about your first big mistake in life. Try and remember it is not the mistakes we make that we are judged by with our friends and family - it is how we deal with them

Sounds like your are trying your very best to make up for this mistake in a very adult way. I am sure your family will see this and have already forgiven you anway but will need time to let you see this. If its an issue of trust (usually is with you youngsters - sorry not being patronising just stating facts:)) all you can do is keep your head down and keep on the right tracks and in time you will feel trusted again and will have learnt by this mistake and people will know that wont they?:)

You sound like the sort of daughter I would loved to have had despite your 'big mistake' so I can bet anything that your family still love you as much as they ever did;):)

Ah Moomoo, sounds like you are truly sorry and are making amends so I wouldn't worry too much. I was kinda the same at GCSE, didnt know what I wanted to do so went with what I enjoyed (English, Business, Sociology) and LOVED Sociology at A Level and went on to graduate with a 2:1 from uni! My best piece of advice is to go with what you like rather than what you feel you 'should' do and often it leads in good directions and makes you stick with it. I've just been promoted at work, granted it's not to do with Sociology but it IS to do with people and that's the part I enjoy.

Suggestions please :( i've done something bad and very regretful, and now have too much on my plate to deal with, what do i do?

Own up and apologise. Learn from it. Hope other person understands that we do make mistakes.

You feel bad and are very sorry. That's sign you won't repeat the mistake again.

What was it?

Last edited:
I did the same in AS Levels, but for different reasons.

Prior to AS levels Id never bunked a lesson., let alone a day - alright homework was late sometimes, but I was just disorganised - flew through exams, and was a well behaved child in school and at home.

I then hit AS Levels, I bunked endless days, work never in on time, constantly tired and in tears, alawys picking up colds etc - just lost all motivation. I also stupidly assumed I would fly through ALevels as I had really good GCSEs. The smack round the face for me was failing my exams.

I managed to resit many exams and worked my bum off in second year and passed with good grades - you can change things around - you just need to find the trigger to motivate yourself to change it all - although a lot easier said than done!

As for the advice, just second the above

newrider.com