What else do I need, with pictures

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Had a bit of spare time today so thought I would check my first aid supply. Anything I'm missing that you would suggest
IMG_20220324_182136.jpgIMG_20220324_182402.jpgIMG_20220324_182313.jpg

By the way I've only got the bute and other painkiller as leftovers and would only give them to him if the vet suggested but I think it's useful to have incase vet is delayed and he's in severe pain.

Animalintex and duct tape in case you need to poultice a hoof.

I like to have pen and paper too, if a vet is giving treatment instructions I find it far easier to write them down rather than try and remember everything particularly if there are several drug doses and timings I don't want to muddle up.

Reactions: Skib and MrA
Animalintex and duct tape in case you need to poultice a hoof.

I like to have pen and paper too, if a vet is giving treatment instructions I find it far easier to write them down rather than try and remember everything particularly if there are several drug doses and timings I don't want to muddle up.
I have paper and pen in my bag which I always have on me now, might have been you who suggested this before and it's come in handy so many times!

Reactions: carthorse
Trying to think of what i have...
Poultice, a pen knife, a torch, wound cream, roll of cotton wool, A set of stable bandages, i have a few different size syringes, duct tape.

Also i have extra supplies of duct tape, vet wrap and poultices. When sox was going through a phase of abscesses

Reactions: MrA
Baby wipes, alcohol hand gel, gloves, cotton wool, more vetwrap. Can't remember what else is in mine - I know it's full of stuff that I never use and is probably out of date, I ought to have a sort out too.

Reactions: MrA
Thanks everyone, I have some of those things just not kept in the first aid kit but definitely missing quite a few!!

The only things I ever really used in my first aid kit was the thermometer, cotton wool and purple spray. I also kept a set of 4 bandages (which have never been used), vetwrap (never used) but these would be useful in a bleeding emergency. Everything else I could just go to the tack shop over the road and buy as I needed. Poultice stuff goes out of date reasonably quickly and nappies to wrap are easily brought anywhere. I always had reels of ducktape - most useful thing ever. Plus a spare lead rope as Ben was forever breaking his.

Everything else I could just go to the tack shop over the road and buy as I needed.
My mob always seem to do themselves an injury when shops aren’t open 🤦‍♀️ Sunday evening is a favourite! it was less of an issue when on a livery yard as people are normally happy to loan stuff.

My mob always seem to do themselves an injury when shops aren’t open 🤦‍♀️ Sunday evening is a favourite! it was less of an issue when on a livery yard as people are normally happy to loan stuff.
Yes, we had a big yard first aid kit on my yard so in an emergency whatever needed could always be found quickly.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com