What does light hacking and light schooling mean

*badger*

Jun 10, 2009
Finchley, London
www.robsurtees.com
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if any of you wise and wonderful people can help clarify "what light schooling and light hacking only" means. I think the horse it's referring to has splints and I was wondering what riding that limits you to. Does it refer to length of time you can ride him or which gaits you can do?

Thanks so much

Amanda

Light hacking I would say you are limited to walk and trot and maybe the occassional canter as long as the ground is soft. Schooling is more strenous so I would say walk and trot and a bit of canter but not too many circles and no jumping.

means its crippled really! i would steer clear as they use only sets alarm bells ringing and tha maybe it has had an injury.

:)Is it a pony you have seen advertised and are interested in?As hot to trot said,crippled.But there again it could mean it is fine just for gentle hacks and this is something that some people are happy to do,it all depends what you want to do yourself.I would be very cautious though if you are thinking of taking on a pony/horse with this description,it all depends why it can only do light hacking/schooling has it got medical problems that are going to need constant Veterinary visits and is it something that will get worse and end up costing you a fortune.Iam only asking because it happened to someone i know.:)

Hi Ginageorge I was asking because I'm thinking of sharing a horse and I heard at the local stables that there was one available but he has splints, so it would possibly be only for light work. I thought it would therefore be best to find out more about it, before speaking with the owner....doing my research so to speak.

There may be the option of another horse on the yard so I was going to chat to both of them.

I would love to practise all aspects of my riding so it's not entirely ideal and I would prefer a fit and healthy horse. However, if it ends up as the only option I would still be interested as an introduction to owning my own horse and also more time in the saddle. Even better, if I had enough free time I would be more than happy to help out with both. Although to be honest I do work extremely long hours so it probably isn't feasible.

x

Light hacking and schooling means that you can ride the horse in the school for up to an hour, but not riding too many tight turns. He should be able to go in any gait and as he gets stronger and better schooled, he will become lighter on his feet.

Out hacking, avoid doing anything but walk on hard ground, but you should be able to trot and canter on soft going.

What you would need to avoid is hard going and very deep surfaces.

Depending on where the splints are and how old they are depends on the interferance they may give. Medial splints are common and rarely give any long term problems. Protective boots should be worn so that it doesn't get knocked continuously.

If the splints affect the joint, then vetinary advice should be followed.

I have a pony with medial splints to both front legs - she jumps, does dressage, hunts and hacks all the time with no problem at all. We wouldn't necessarily work her on hard ground, but they have never caused a problem.

Hope this helps.

my pony has splints,, he was never lame. he dose everything, from steady hacks to jumping.... not with me though (yet) lol... deppends how bad they are i suppose..

splints usually only cause lameness when they are forming. once they are hardened off they shouldnt cause any bother (apart from been unsightly)

if your looking to get rid of splints, have a look at splintex ;)

Basically the horse is knackered and is fit only for walk and possibly trot which is ok if that is all you want to do. My advice steer clear of anything that is unable to carry out the full range of movements cause it might get worse and vet bills will then come into play.

newrider.com