What does 'hobdayed' mean?

Named after the block who developed the treatment, Sir Frederick Hobday, it's a tube inserted into the windpipe to help the horse breathe - which has a partially paralysed larynx, and the horse is suffering from exercise intolerance. You see this done on racehorses if they need it. L

Intouch you are right - Hobdaying is also known as a tie back operation. It is used when a horse has a condition called laryngeal paralysis in which one side of the larynx is paralysed so doesn't open and close to let air in. This means the horse will get tired a lot more quickly as they can't get as much oxygen as they need in fast work. A horse with the condition is commonly known as a roarer or whistler as they make a noise during fast work (sounds like they're wheezing).

The operation involves a tube (like Laetitia said) at first but this is removed once the wound has drained and healed, the hole in the throat then closes up. The procedure ties back the paralysed bit of the larynx so opens the airway more.

We had an advanced eventer at the yard i worked at which had it done and it was really worthwhile - increasing stamina and recovery times and he held condition much better as he was getting less stressed in fast work.

We had a hobdayed horse, he was wel up to 25 mile endurance rides and be up with the best of them.

Poor boy used to try and whinny....it was so sad as no sound came out.

I had a hobdayed horse too, same as Wally he couldn't whinny. It never interfered with his performance either. It is normally large long necked horses, according to my vet, who have it done more than smaller horses. My horse was 17.3hh.
My other horse was 17.2hh and she had the paralysed larynx, I think that's what the vet said. She hadn't had the operation and when she cantered for a long time she would get so out of breath we would have to go back to a walk. She was known as a roarer.

By the way I work in the Hobday building named after the chap himself!! Follow the link below and it tells you a bit about him and the operation.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/RVC_Life/News_and_Events/HobdaysVisit.cfm

My mare's got this problem (my dad gave me a rollocking for buying a horse with this problem) but i tried to explain to him that it doesn't bother her one bit. She's quite happy keeping up with the rest of the bunch of tb's and doesn't roar or whistle (believe me when she's shouting for her breakfast there's nothing wrong with her larynx) :D The only time i notice is at the top of a hill when she's a bit out of puff or after a hard schooling session.
I think the operation is about £250 to have done.

Am ashamed to say i don't know too much about the condition considering i own a horse with the problem. :eek:

newrider.com