what does everyone feed ??

jemma

Jul 1, 2004
uk, birmingham
Visit site
Just wondering what does everyonefeed there horses??? - i am just wondering this as i may be getting my own horse soon and the only horse i feed isy share horse who eats chaff , oats and suger beet :eek: - he is loopy and wouldt feed it to my own horse !!

3 of em get a scoop of chaff (hifi) twice a day, and maddie gets a scoop of hifi in the morning, and gets a scoop of hifi and a scoop of mollassed chaff with sugarbeet at night.

Cassie: 1 small scoop of allen & page slim and healthy, 1/2 small scoop sugar beet and a big handful of hi fi once a day.

Shetlands: small handful of hi fi and a dollop of sugar beet once a day.

Phantom: 2 small scoops slim & healthy, 1 handful hi fi and 1 small scoop sugar beet, twice a day.

They all get apples and garlic granules, plus Cassie has equiflex supplement, and Phantom gets winter glow/summer shine supplement.

Phantom's feed is an experiment to see if feeding the manufacturer's recommended amount will give him more energy!

if the horse is a good dooer they can live on just hay.

my lot are 16hh idxtb, 15.1hh hw cob and 12hh section a, maddie is a 16.3hh tb ex racer who isnt a good dooer

15hh, 15yr old Native type cob. Tendency to be lazy and slow, or strong and silly, with nothing in between :p.

LUNCH (main meal)
Currently fed handful of sugarbeet, 2 scoops Alfa-A, sprinkling of mix, carrots, garlic, vitamin and mineral suppliment, pink powder and cod liver oil.

Changing it though, to;
handful of sugarbeet, 6 scoops Alfa-A Oil, Carrots and Apples, Linseed Oil, vit&min suppliment, handful of oats (on riding days), pink powder.

I think that will suit him better.

For breakfast he has chop, alfa-a, and carrots. Smaller meal.

He has constant access to haylage.

Give one of the feed companies a ring and speak to a nutritionist. At first though, just feed the horse whatever it was having before you bought it.

xxx

sorry cross posted with you.

Cassie is 13.2hh and does the occassional hack at the moment, the shetlands you can guess, and do no work, and Phantom is 14.1hh and is ridden 3-4 times a week, and schooled and jumped.

I would feed all of them on just hay apart from Phantom if we had a bit more grass, I was doing that until about 2 weeks ago. If a horse/pony is a good do-er (ie fat all year round!) then just hay is fine, but they may lack vitamins and minerals.

Sorry, maybe should have mentioned more reasons!
What he gets at the moment he gets simply because every horse on the yard gets it. The Vitamin and Mineral suppliment is because he gets dry, scurfy skin and a dull coat sometimes.

handful of sugarbeet (fibre - cant get too much fibre with horses!), 6 scoops Alfa-A Oil (fibre again - 6 scoops because the longer horses chew the better, chewing stimulates their saliva which is good and improves their digestion. You can feed as much roughage as you want, it's just a filler and is good for them to 'graze'. Feed the oil version for his coat again), Carrots and Apples (for interesting variety), Linseed Oil (coat again), vit&min suppliment, handful of oats (on riding days)(because they are quick release energy, if you feed them in the morning before they are ridden the effects will be there when you ride. If you feed it in the evening and dont ride til the next afternoon it's pointless as all the energy will have been lost), pink powder (aids digestion and keeps them healthy when eating a lot of rich grass or haylege).

He's in light work - an hour of schooling on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays, Off on Tuesdays and most Thursdays, half an hour's schooling on Mondays and Fridays, occasional hack (once a week maybe) of around an hour and a half, turned out all day in winter and in at night, turned out all night in summer and in during the day.

xxx

Some horses don't even need hay - Phoebe had nothing the winter we had her and stil came into summer fat and happy!

Phi and Livvy have one Dynavena brick each once a day.
Phi is a 15.2ish Welsh Cob who works about 4 times a week, Liv is 15.1hh and works about 2 or 3 times.
They work alot more in Summer, but don't get fed as the grazing is too good to be true!

Sorry to take over your thread I was just wondering, those of you who feed oats how do you feed them? Do you have to soak them or anything? :eek:

My 16hh tb who doesnt keep the weight on very well gets a large scoop of molichaff, sugarbeet and conditioning cubes twice a day plus lots of hay :)

x

mines a 16.2hh belgian warmblood gelding 7 years old - we school about 3/4 times a week and jump once usually, but not always... hopeing to compete as well

(he has 1.5scoops of coarse mix twice a day as stated above)

we feed Patiot feed... - but I doubt its sold in the Uk... lol its awesome feed though - we have everything from 29yr 1200lb mares to 5yr 200lb minis to 9 month old fillys

I feed my 3 year old draft gelding, 1/4 cup of ground black oil sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, and 1/4 of ground flax seed once a day. He has unlimited grass hay also. My 8 year old draft/qh cross gelding gets the same. My minis(2 stallions ages 3 and 4 and one mare age 25) get 2 tablespoons of ground BOSS, 2 tablespoons ground flax, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil once a day, also with unlimited grass hay.

Feed him what he's already having when you buy him for a while - a sudden change in feed can give horses colic.
Once you get to know him you will have a better idea of what feed will suit him best. If he's happy and healthy on what he came with, probably no need to change it.
But he may have a dull coat, or be lazy, or fizzy etc, and in that case you can change things slowly - bit by bit to try and improve him.

xxx

half a bucket of alpha, large scopp of sugar beet, 1 scoop of coarse, 1 scoop of nuts, 1/2 scopp of weight gain, linseed oil and carrots. Twice a day and 3 large haynets.

newrider.com