What do you prefer riding alone or in company

Kimmy C

Jun 9, 2009
Canvey Island Essex England
I suppose you could say that I feel more comfortable riding alone as there's no one else to worry about and you can go at your own pace but the downside to this is I can feel a bit nervous in case anything happens. We only have six stables and only three are filled at the moment. I also find it hard sometimes to get up the enthusiasm to ride if I am on my own. In a bigger yard you feel more like riding and joining in. What are your thoughts??

I relax more when in company as I chat alot and it takes my mind off what might happen :p

There have been times when I have wanted to be alone with my horse and these times were majical exploring the world together:eek:

So looks like Im going to sit on the bench and go 50/50:cool:

When I was teenager I went out for hours on my own and loved every minute.

Now older with a 20+ year break from horses I am too full of "what ifs" to enjoy solo hacking.:(

Both!! Sometimes I need a bloody good moan and feel the best pair of ears to listen are Cheeky's!! Or I need to be alone with my thoughts and go for a ride.

But sometimes finding the motivation to do anything other than toddle aimlessly around the paddock a few times is hard, so it's great having a buddy to go for a ride with.

In company, without a doubt. I haven't hacked solo in over three years, and I doubt I will ever have the confidence again to do so in the future. I'd much rather have someone else there. For some reason, whenever I used to hack Mia out alone, I'd just be tensed and waiting for her to do something to hurt me...if others were there, it took my mind off my fear! Besides, at this point and with my confidence issues, my husband would rather I didn't hack out alone (although he'd never dare to actually say I wasn't allowed ;) ).

Both, most of the time I have no choice but to hack alone, but I do enjoy the peace and quiet.
It is nice occasionally to go out with good company though. :)

I've mainly hacked out alone and it doesn't bother me. In fact i do quite like the freedom of going where i want and for how ong and what pace to take! I also find i'm actually more relaxed alone as is Indie.

However i do miss company (only me at the yard!!) so i regularly trailer over to ride with my best friend or we trailer our horses out together for a ride!

I did find a few people local to ride wih but have to admit i prefer not to ride with them as they dawdle too much! They do not make the horses walk up so every ride takes twice as long and Indie gets bored and spooks even more - just for entertainment i think!:eek::D

I prefer company. I seem to have confidence issues going out solo and I just cant crack them:(. Arnie is much better in company but I suspect that might just be because I am more relaxed (he doesnt really like other horses:rolleyes:)

Tyler and I are both far better out in company. I like the solo hacking as any canter doesnt turn into a mad race for the 'finish' line, but at the same time, I love having those races lol.

Don't mind doing either, but prefer company.

Jen
x

I'm another one who likes both, I love going out for hours on end by myself, but also enjoy doing the same thing in pleasant company, the horses are always a little more settled then too.

I like both, hacking these days is by myself as I used to only hack out with hubby, but now he baby sits whilst I go for a ride (I dont leave my 3 month old with anyone else just yet other than hubby) but have to say when I do go out I really enjoy the solo time with just me and my horse. I will ride out with hubby again when Jess is a bit older.

Dont really ride out with anyone else at my yard, though I might ride out with a fellow NR on here next year ,... she knows who she is ;)

Im with KC Mac as Adella is very forward going and no one can keep up her walking pace and I have to keep stopping which is hates as she is always on a mission. Dont get me wrong I am more confident in company its just i prefer to be in front and I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to going faster than a collected canter. I think my friends secretly like going faster than me.

9 times out of 10 I hack out alone (well alone apart from Mimi and my little dog trotting behind) and I much prefer not having to make the effort of conversation.

However, on the odd occasion I do go out with someone else I always really enjoy it too, and think that I should do it more often, but never do :eek:

I love going out just me, Silver and the wind in my hair lol - cliche but true.

But only when she is being a dream.

I get frustrated and we just argue the whole way when she naps - which 4/10 times results in her bolting for home and me unable to do anything at all about it, and once we arrive she will not budge from her stable door for love nor money, so in that case out in company!

I only ever hack out with OH - we keep ours at home together and they just hate being apart! I wasn't very good at hacking in company on the last yard, as I did feel a little pressured by other riders (they were all very good, confident, capable riders). The first yard I was on was a lot of fun, and I didn't mind riding with other people there, cos they were either kids or inexperienced folks like myself. The more I progressed and the longer I'd been having lessons, the less I liked company!!

newrider.com