What Do You Prefer? Hogged cob or natural? POLL

Do you prefer hogged and clipped or natural

• Total voters

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Seen a thread about someone wanting to carry on with the hogged looked on their cob.

I have one of these beasties, if you don't know that where have you been:bounce:

Anyway Tilley is natural and i want to leave her mane and tail, issue is feathers.

So what do you prefer to see and why? If you owned one what would you do and why?

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
toby has his legs clipped and that's it. I personally wouldn't want to hog him, i like his mane. His feathers are done for comfort and ease of working.

Kezzie being a welsh D is untouched apart from basic trimming for shows.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
picture.php

This is her mane, i love it and i've kept it ok over the winter.

It the brown clay feet that's the issue, i've taken a bucket of lumps off, she's a mess now.

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Oooh, I'd take it all off, I like cobs naked! Full clip including legs. Hogged mane and forelock. Tail shaved down the sides.

I'm not a cob fan in general though so my opinion is more or less irrelevant :happy:

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
If at all possible I will always leave well alone. I'm learning that I need to do a little bit of maintainance to keep things looking good and feeling good for my horse.
My mate suggests constantly that I should hog my horse's mane. In your dreams love - that hair's staying as long as I have anything to do with it.

me_n_super_abby

Mar 14, 2009
On a farm
I like them hairy if they are maintained and you have time to keep on top of them. If not i do like them clipped out. It depends on the horse and their make up, build ect

My thoughts are that if they are clipped out they are the whole hog. So feathers off, tail pulled, mane hogged or pulled, hairy chin off too! All or nothing with me im afraid. On the other hand, full on hairy beast.

Abby used to be hogged and clipped legs (ex-hunter) and looked fab tacked up and ridden. She is now a hairy mary but that may change as my clipped battery is charging as i speak!

I your baby girl au naturale though :happy:

Louby*eko

Jun 19, 2008
Berkshire/Hampshire border
I love the hairy ones too! Samson was clipped out when I got him, but he did look silly being a Shire. I quite like the smartness of a clipped out cob but cant see me ever doing that to one of mine.
When I first got him

DSCF0471.jpg

Samson now

Photo0245.jpg

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Hairy but tidier than natural. Trimmed feathers to make them look neater but still long and natural look. Mane thinned then taken up to just below eye level for fly protection but to keep them cooler in summer. Tail as long as posible in summer for fly swatting reasons but switched rather than banged. A good compromise I think.

In winter I leave the mane and feathers well alone to offer more protection. However the tail I take up to just below hock level for mud reasons!

I really do have a thing about manes and tails being there for a reason and would not want to deprive the horse of the purpose they serve just for my tastes and convenience. If it somehow benefitted the horse then yes, if not then no.

Last edited:

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
To be honest, I don't think she'd suit being hogged, she looks fine as she is, you may have to clip her legs this time, and hopefully come next winter, you'll have found a way of keeping her legs clean, and mud free, without having to remove her feathers:smile:

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
What I can't abide is a cob thats neither one thing or the other:wink: If it can't grow at least a shoulder length mane, then chop it off:biggrin:

It's shoulder length and i'm checking to try and keep it that way.

It's a shame there is no program online to photo shop her clipped out so i can see. Too late after the deed is done! But the owners want the mane left long anyway, so i have no say in that, but i love it long.

What about a poodle look, clipped but leave the bottom:wink:

Why are cobs hogged?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
in all honesty i have one hairy and one hogged...Rosie REALLY suits being hogged so has hogged mane and feathers...but not out of prettiness, out of neccessity with her swollen legs and sweetitch.

Moet is natural and i would never hog her at all....

100% leave that mane on though its gorgeous!

feathers - i would be aiming to keep them on....is it really needed to get the mud off? her skin underneath will be in good condition as the feather protects it so much!...and in the summer when the field is less boggy you wont have the mud to deal with!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
feathers - i would be aiming to keep them on....is it really needed to get the mud off? her skin underneath will be in good condition as the feather protects it so much!...and in the summer when the field is less boggy you wont have the mud to deal with!

I had to cut off the dreadlocks, there is a thread somewhere with the photo. I took off a whole bucket full weighing about 2kgs. It was effecting how she moved.
However she is not clipped out, she still has a lot of hair there and feathered fronts. It is being left with the view to growing it back and being on the ball this winter, either shorten, pig oil it up and trim off as and when it turns into dumbells. We have clay soil.

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
As a fan of finer breeds opposed to cobs/natives etc I like them when their feathers are clipped and kept short. I like their manes long but tidy - not too natural and their tails trimmed and neatened up around the sides... I just described a finer breed of horse there, which doesn't surprise me - I'd just try and turn any cob into a slimline version with less hair ;)

A couple of the cobs are the yard are clipped out. In the winter because of the mud and in the summer because of the heat. It's more for practical reasons opposed to looks though, so definately justified. Their manes and tails have been left though - they look pweety!

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I clipped off my cobs feathers in the autumn but allowed them to grow back in the winter for protection from the mud. However I would never hog his mane or touch his tail (except for the bottom of it) as like others have said they are there to serve a purpose - for fly removal in the summer mostly. And as I don't really like fly rugs, I would never ever hog my cobs mane in the summer and leave him out with no protection from the flies.

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
I hogged my boy because he has a 'double mane' where when it's grows it lies with the same thickness on both sides, and he gets really sweaty underneath.. he really appreciated it when I first hogged him, his whole behaviour changed, and for something that seemed so minor too:smile:
Hogging doesn't suit the thin or hippo sized horses, it only suits cob types not warm bloods, or tb types.. some horses are best left o'natural, the teptation to see what a horse looks like when hogged can be irresistible to some, and if done with a bog standard pair of scissors, the poor horse can be left with the Dwain Dwibbly look
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=x0t9TZuYCsu2hAeAv6XeBg&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQ9QEwAA
:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle: