what do you do with your babies/children?

My little girl (2 yr old) helps with feeding and things I can do while she is in the garden and I'm on the otherside of the fence in the field, but if my 9 yr old and 7 yr old boys are home they play with her indoors while I ride in the field, have the farrier etc. Sometimes they also keep an eye on her when she sleeps during the day, then tell me if she wakes when I'm schooling in the field. At weekends my OH minds them all while I hack out.:)

Last edited:
scream at them :p

No really, in the holidays I try not to go up to the ponies unless it's the evening and hubby is home. Too many children and too many risks.

However during term time I do go up with my children but try to keep it to a max of two children mainly and take them things to do like colouring, magazines , ds, etc They do like to help as well and will muck out, clean buckets, clean tack and mix feeds and fill haynets.

My children are 10yrs (with global development delay/autism), 7yrs, 4yrs (dyspraxic) 3yrs and 1yr (has metabolism probs)

I am also considering getting someone in to look after my 1yr old once a week for a few hours so I go up to ride on my own once the evenings start drawing in.

Beg some help from grandparents!!

If I book a lesson, I have to work around my mum & dad as they look after my 2 girls. However, I have found a R/S not too far away from me that has a creche facility on site (what a fab idea!!) and I am considering booking a lesson and seeing how my girls get on in the creche!

I only ride and spend time at yard when they are at school.I chose to give up horses when I had young children,and only got back into it again when the youngest started full time school,so was never an issue for me when they were babies,toddlers etc.

Weekends and school holidays I only do flying visits to the yard to do the necessary,or OH does it for me.Is a bit of a killer,especially this loooooong summer holiday,but that's the deal I made with myself before getting back into them.None of my kids are interested really in horses,unfortunately,and always said I wouldn't force it on them,or make them fit in around my hobby.OH takes pity on me sometimes and tells me to go ride:p,but I rarely do when kids are at home,that's their time IMO.

Maybe you could rope in some help from relatives if you are finding it a struggle??

I only ride and spend time at yard when they are at school.I chose to give up horses when I had young children,and only got back into it again when the youngest started full time school,so was never an issue for me when they were babies,toddlers etc.

Weekends and school holidays I only do flying visits to the yard to do the necessary,or OH does it for me.Is a bit of a killer,especially this loooooong summer holiday,but that's the deal I made with myself before getting back into them.None of my kids are interested really in horses,unfortunately,and always said I wouldn't force it on them,or make them fit in around my hobby.OH takes pity on me sometimes and tells me to go ride:p,but I rarely do when kids are at home,that's their time IMO.

Maybe you could rope in some help from relatives if you are finding it a struggle??

Exactly the same so glas devonlass got in there first and had to do all the typing! :p

I have 4

I am lucky in that i have an enclosed concrete yard where the stables are so the kids play about in there and love to help feed/groom the horses, unfortuanlly i dont get to ride very often but now the youngest has started nursery school im trying to get some riding fitted in when they are all at school!

Other thing that helps is ds's! if its raining they are happy to sit in the car and play them while i see to the horses like putting beds down and feeding etc

newrider.com